Atlas drill press gloat

Dranreb

Active User
Registered
A friend has just given me this as he thought it would go nicely with my lathe.

It bears a massive arc of shame and chipped pulley, but works OK, just needs a clean up, our cheeky postman wondered if Noah was the last owner! :lmao:

DSCF9386.JPG

Bernard

P.S No... the postman didn't bring it in his sack...

DSCF9386.JPG

Last edited:
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Looking good. Get us another picture when she is all dolled up.

Nice press, you can get the parts list on owwm. I've done 2 of them so far, and built a puller block for extra speed changes. I also had the base and table of one of them surface ground, it was very far off being flat.

Ajax-20130823-00734.jpgAjax-20130605-00431.jpg

Ajax-20130823-00734.jpg Ajax-20130605-00431.jpg

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Looking good. Get us another picture when she is all dolled up.

This afternoons work...

DSCF9387.JPG

Nice press, you can get the parts list on owwm. I've done 2 of them so far, and built a puller block for extra speed changes. I also had the base and table of one of them surface ground, it was very far off being flat.

Yep, mine has a warped table too, my mate has a mill...thanks for pointing me to the owwm site, can't imagine how I managed to miss that mine of info in all my googling..:thumbzup:

Excellent find on the Atlas, it is worthy of gloating!!!

Not too worthy, found two broken teeth on the quill actuator gear, and the balls are gone from the bearing at top of the quill, these must been slack and fallen out when the drill was laying on it's side, plenty of grease in there so might come across them soon!

Bernard

DSCF9387.JPG

My mistake no balls missing, just me reading the parts list wrong, it was a loose spindle lock collar, now fixed and the quill is good to go..

My presses are 42b's but your looks to be a 52. Get new bearings, and see if you can surface grind instead of milling the table. Too bad about the teeth on the gear, how the heck does someone break that?

I paint all my tools with caliper paint, works great, cutting fluid does not peel the paint. Pull the spindle out and check the bushings, might need new ones if the things has been abused.

This afternoons work...

View attachment 59654

Yep, mine has a warped table too, my mate has a mill...thanks for pointing me to the owwm site, can't imagine how I managed to miss that mine of info in all my googling..:thumbzup:

Not too worthy, found two broken teeth on the quill actuator gear, and the balls are gone from the bearing at top of the quill, these must been slack and fallen out when the drill was laying on it's side, plenty of grease in there so might come across them soon!

Bernard

My presses are 42b's but your looks to be a 52. Get new bearings, and see if you can surface grind instead of milling the table. Too bad about the teeth on the gear, how the heck does someone break that?

I paint all my tools with caliper paint, works great, cutting fluid does not peel the paint. Pull the spindle out and check the bushings, might need new ones if the things has been abused.

The top pulley has been really well hammered, there is nothing I can see to stop the quill rotating on this thing except the depth gauge which is missing, so maybe the gear jammed when the quill turned a bit and force was used to try and free it..although hitting the top wouldn't have worked!

Bernard

Inspecting the battered top pulley, I now think that the top groove was worn and someone had the bright idea of dressing the top flange down a bit to close the gap, nothing wrong with a bit of lateral thinking!

On to the broken gear teeth, after some cogitation on what method to use I went for my default, SOTP engineering. :biggrin:

After doing the first tooth I remembered to take pictures, this is the second tooth..turned the weld off, ground the weld roughly to shape with a thin cut off wheel in a 4 1/2 angle grinder, then using a marker pen and much trying in the quill rack gear, filed it to fit.

02-DSCF9507.JPG

01-DSCF9506.JPG

03-DSCF9509.JPG

04-DSCF9510.JPG

05-DSCF9512.JPG

06-DSCF9514.JPG

08-DSCF9517.JPG

11-DSCF9520.JPG

View attachment 60059

DSCF9525.JPG

As this is a low stress almost nil speed gear hopefully it should be OK!

Bernard

01-DSCF9506.JPG 02-DSCF9507.JPG 03-DSCF9509.JPG 04-DSCF9510.JPG 05-DSCF9512.JPG 06-DSCF9514.JPG 08-DSCF9517.JPG 11-DSCF9520.JPG DSCF9525.JPG

Back