Atlas Horizontal Mill & Atlas 6" Lathe Parts?

My understanding is that the Atlas Mill Started life with a 4 position pulley & as time went by they dropped it to 3 and then the final and longest running version was just 2 positions.
The photos that Dhector has posted don't seem to be for the Mill?
I am guessing that it is for a Lathe??

My understanding is that the Atlas Mill Started life with a 4 position pulley & as time went by they dropped it to 3 and then the final and longest running version was just 2 positions.
The photos that Dhector has posted don't seem to be for the Mill?
I am guessing that it is for a Lathe??

It is for a lathe. Maybe I read it wrong. I thought that is what was being talked about or am I incorrect? Its off the 3950 atlas lathe.

First, the pulley and gear that DHector photographed is off of the Atlas 3950 lathe and has the small spindle gear on the opposite end of the pulley from where it is on all of the Atlas mills and other lathes. It has a Clausing style part number. The 3950 is the Atlas replacement for the 618, which went into production in about 1973. We don't have the drawing for the M6-79 spindle pulley & gear off of the 618 because it is still available from Clausing.

Second, background on Atlas part numbers prior to 1957. The first or first and second character ID'd the first machine that the part was used on.

9- 9" Lathe
10- through 10F- 10" Lathe (10 through 10F)
Ln- (where "n" is a single digit) Mostly Craftsman 6" (101.07301) and 3/8" bed 12" plus some wood lathes.
M6- Atlas 612 or 618 6" lathe (why M6 and not just 6, no one alive today seems to know)
M1- Atlas mills (most parts from M1 through MHC)
MF- Atlas MF mill (MF through MFC)
MH- Atlas MH mill (MH through MHC)
S7- Atlas shaper

Following the hyphen were one to three digits which if you know how to read it identifies the noun name of the part. For example, "31" is a spindle, or the most significant spindle in the machine. So 9-31 was the spindle for the 9" compound drive lathe. 10-31 was the spindle for all of the babbit bearing 10" and 12" lathes. M1-31 the spindle in the mill. M1-31T for all of the Timken equipped 10" and 12" lathes, etc.

With the exception of "T" for Timken and "G" for Gear, a suffix letter starting from "A" indicated a modification which may or may not have been backwards compatible. There are half a dozen or so exceptions to the forgoing on the mills. All of the parts having to do with the table power feed should (and originally did) begin with MF. But a few parts instead of for example becoming MF-14A became M1-64. Despite the fact that the Kickout is not use on any M1 model

But in short, except for a few screwups, once a part number was assigned to a part, aside from modification or the Clausing Conquest, the number never changed. So the parts lists for the mills include a few 10-. L2-. M6- and S7- parts.

The original three mill models were M1 (hand screw driven cross feed, in-out feed and table lift), MF (power or hand screw driven cross feed) and MH (lever and rack & pinion driven cross feed and table lift). All mills shared a common serial number pool which ran from 000001 through probably around 012500 (final number not known and this does not include the maybe 1000 or so Craftsman 101.15500 (MFC) sold by Sears). The M1, MF and MH ran from 000200 through 001344, M1A, MFA and MHA from 001345 through 005465, M1B, MFB and MHB from 005466 through 008123, and M1C, MFC and MHC from 008124 up. The highest number currently known is 012304.

The only two readily apparent differences between the base, A, B and C models is that the base (unlettered) models were 16-speed machines with 4-step countershaft and spindle pulleys, A were 12-speed with three step pulleys and B and C were 8-speed with 2-step pulleys. The apparent differences between B and C were that C had no upper cutter guard (also often missing from the earlier ones), the Arbor Support (and another part numbering mistake) was a little longer to attach an Arbor Support Bar (also often missing) and the Cross Slide Screw Bearing is about twice as long as on the B and earlier, most of that length at one diameter. The increased length was where the lower end of the Arbor Support Bar attaches. So if the Bar is missing, the bearing will still be there. Note that the drawing of the bearing in all of the mill manuals that cover the C models is actually of the earlier shorter one.

To further confuse the issue, it appears from the catalogs that Atlas didn't decide to call the A models "A models" until the B models replaced them. They apparently never made any nameplates with an "A" on them. Plus the older pulleys apparently went out of production shortly after each change. So it isn't unusual to see a base model with 3 or even 2-step pulleys. There were some other more subtle changes that may help if the nameplate (with serial number) is missing.

Dhector,

You're not wrong but the 6" lathe pulley in question was off of the 618 or 101.21400 or 101.07301. Their pulleys are like the mill pulleys and the 10" and 12" lathe pulleys in that the small gear for the back gear is on the small end of the pulley, whereas the pulley that you have has it on the large end.

So the question seems to be answered??? there are lathe pulleys that could fit in a mill?

Dhector,

You're not wrong but the 6" lathe pulley in question was off of the 618 or 101.21400 or 101.07301. Their pulleys are like the mill pulleys and the 10" and 12" lathe pulleys in that the small gear for the back gear is on the small end of the pulley, whereas the pulley that you have has it on the large end.

So would the pulley be similar to a 12 x 36 sears and roebuck? Got one of those also. Still trying to help!!!

Yes, but the 10" and 12" step pulleys are larger than the mill and 6". So not useful in the current context. I don't know exactly what the differences are between the one on the 6" and the one on the M1, MF and MH but there must be something different else the part numbers wouldn't be different.

And I was just thinking there needs to be two, the driver and the driven.
And the drivebelt must be very small on the 4 speed setup, if the countershaft support on mine is any indicator, using the 2 sheeve pulleys, with the original 4 sheeve pulley mount makes speed changes a nightmare. There just isn't room for the bigger belt to move.

Yes the 4 step uses a much narrower belt than the 2 step.

The spindle and motor belts on the M1/MF/MH and M1A/MFA/MHA are 3L (nominal 3/8 width and I don't have the length). The spindle and motor belts on the M1B/MFB/MHB and the M1C/MFC/MHC are 5L (nominal 5/8" width and I don't have the length). If changing from a 4- or 3-step pulley setup to a 2-step, you should change the entire countershaft assembly except for the knob, handle and hub, most of the belt guard assembly, and the motor pulley. For example, the original motor pulley was M6-428. The later one on the B and C models is 10-428.

Back