Atlas Horizontal Mill & Atlas 6" Lathe Parts?

The apparent differences between B and C were that C had no upper cutter guard (also often missing from the earlier ones), the Arbor Support (and another part numbering mistake) was a little longer to attach an Arbor Support Bar (also often missing) and the Cross Slide Screw Bearing is about twice as long as on the B and earlier, most of that length at one diameter.

This is just a footnote to the above that will only be of interest to the most anal-retentive of Atlas fans, but at least some of the early MFCs were still being shipped with the upper cutter guard. My MFC is serial number 8146 and has the guard. I've also seen photos of one other MFC that was close in serial number to mine that also had the guard. My guess is that Atlas was just using up their existing parts inventory. Since you can't actually use the upper cutter guard with the arbor support in place, most of the time my guard just sits in a drawer.

I'm a little late to the conversation, but if it helps anybody, I have extra M6-79 and M6-80 pulleys that I can measure.

I'm a little late to the conversation, but if it helps anybody, I have extra M6-79 and M6-80 pulleys that I can measure.
Hello, could you still get the measurements from these pulleys? My Atlas mill is missing these and may have to try and make them. Thanks for any help

Wrsjorel,

There were four Atlas mill revisions (base, A, B and C) times three different types (M1, MF and MH) for a total of 12 different mills. The M6-79 and M6-80 are four-groove spindle and countershaft pulleys that were originally used on the Atlas 618 and Craftsman 101.07301 and 101.21400 6" lathes. They were also used on the three base mill models (M1, MF and MH). No one seems to know why Atlas chose to use "M6" as the cimm prefix for most of the 6" lathe parts (instead of for example "L6" 2 or 3 years before they decided to build the horizontal mills.

Anyway, the 4-groove pulleys were only used on 3 of the 12 mill models. And you did not say what your mill model was. And ti add further confusion, the 3-Groove "A" models never got the "A" on their nameplates. The only way to ID a Rev A mill is from the serial number or if it has 3-groove pulleys.

Wrsjorel,

There were four Atlas mill revisions (base, A, B and C) times three different types (M1, MF and MH) for a total of 12 different mills. The M6-79 and M6-80 are four-groove spindle and countershaft pulleys that were originally used on the Atlas 618 and Craftsman 101.07301 and 101.21400 6" lathes. They were also used on the three base mill models (M1, MF and MH). No one seems to know why Atlas chose to use "M6" as the cimm prefix for most of the 6" lathe parts (instead of for example "L6" 2 or 3 years before they decided to build the horizontal mills.

Anyway, the 4-groove pulleys were only used on 3 of the 12 mill models. And you did not say what your mill model was. And ti add further confusion, the 3-Groove "A" models never got the "A" on their nameplates. The only way to ID a Rev A mill is from the serial number or if it has 3-groove pulleys.
Thanks for the reply,my mill doesn’t have any tags , but it has a 3 groove pulley in the head . I’m missing the motor mount and pulleys also the table is manual feed,left and right ,up and down.

OK. Wjth a 3-groove spindle pulley and without power feed, it is an M1A.

Hello, could you still get the measurements from these pulleys? My Atlas mill is missing these and may have to try and make them. Thanks for any help
Sorry, I have since sold all my spare Atlas/Craftsman parts, so I no longer have them. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some measurements for you.

@Wrsjorel , you might try calling Clausing. If they still have the parts in stock, they won't but if they don't have any on hand and have declared them as obsolete, they will probably send you the drawing(s). If they do send you something, please forward the file(s) to me and I will clean them up and out them into Downloads.

Correction - we DO have the 2-step and the 3-step spindle and countershaft pulley drawings as well as the drawing for the modification to the small spindle back gear. But we do not have the drawings for the 4-step which have a part number beginning with M6- because they started life as parts for the various early 6" lathes.

Back