Atlas Horizontal mill

34-40,

Sorry to hear that someone bought it out from under you. But to partially answer your question anyway, the mills first appeared in the Atlas 1941 catalog as 16-speed. I'm looking for a 1942 catalog to check but in the 1943, the machines are 12-speed. According to Atlas the first MFA was at S/N 1345. Subject to adjustment depending on what I find in the 1942 catalog, my guess would be that the one you tried to buy was made in late 1941.

I have a small database of Atlas machines, gleaned from several sources. However, there are only 3 mills in it and none of the owners apparently knew the date that the machine was built. And unlike the 10: and 12" lathes, no one has ever said anything about the spindle bearings have dates on them. So original invoice would be the only other clue besides spindle speeds. And I haven't seen any report of anyone having that.

Robert D.

I guess I am the guy that bought the mill you had your eye on. I went down with cash yesterday. Paid the asking price, they were not budging on the price. The actual owner is 93, going into the old age home, I felt bad for the guy. A neighbor is making all the deals, and watching out for him. There are more tools to be sold, but the prices will be high.
The mill is in excellent condition, very little use. I will post pictures on another thread.
Larry

I guess I am the guy that bought the mill you had your eye on. I went down with cash yesterday. Paid the asking price, they were not budging on the price. The actual owner is 93, going into the old age home, I felt bad for the guy. A neighbor is making all the deals, and watching out for him. There are more tools to be sold, but the prices will be high.
The mill is in excellent condition, very little use. I will post pictures on another thread.
Larry

No sweat Larry, glad it went to a good home. I'm not working near home this week so I set up a call and meeting and was left with the impression that it was mine. And I'll admit I'm disappointed, I was actually after a Bridgeport, so I'm nothing if not flexible! :))

Glad there are no hard feelings! The neighbor was actually a bit agressive. Everything I picked up to look at, he put right back in the spot it came from. I asked to borrow a wrench to take the motor off, and he took it back as soon as I put it down. Had to ask for it again to take the next 3 bolts off. I think he thought I was going to steal it.
The little rotary table was not on the bench of tooling that he wanted to include. After my nephew and I carried everything out to the truck, he offered me the little rotary table for $200. I passed on it, but told him it should have been in with mill stuff.
As I stated before, there will be more tools for sale, but I won't go back.

Glad there are no hard feelings! The neighbor was actually a bit agressive. Everything I picked up to look at, he put right back in the spot it came from. I asked to borrow a wrench to take the motor off, and he took it back as soon as I put it down. Had to ask for it again to take the next 3 bolts off. I think he thought I was going to steal it.
The little rotary table was not on the bench of tooling that he wanted to include. After my nephew and I carried everything out to the truck, he offered me the little rotary table for $200. I passed on it, but told him it should have been in with mill stuff.
As I stated before, there will be more tools for sale, but I won't go back.

That's kinda funny in a way.. because the neighbor told me his name was Paul... then in one of his e-mails he signed it as Dirk.. then in another e-mail he said a different name!

The owner was said to be Ralph.. but later he said Ted... SO I wonder what their names really are?? :roflmao: Shame the world has to be like this.. But you got a nice mill and I hope you enjoy it! Good Luck with it! :drink2:

The names I was given was Paul, the neighbor, and Ralph, the owner.

I've had one of these for several years & I LOVE it! I paid $300.00 & now they seem to be all the rage on Ebay at least. I've seen several go for $1,200.00 to $1,500.00!
I wish I could afford an original vice or degree wheel & tailstock. But as mentioned they go for more than I paid for the mill!
The vertical atachment would be fun also. I've copied a lot of the pics off Ebay & I don't think it would be that hard to make one up. I think they go for around $600.0!

I just bought the Rudy Kouhoupt video & really am enjoying it. It's high dollar too! But fun enough that I might buy the one of his South Bend 9" lathe.
The small Atlas lathes have the same spindle threads & you can find a drill chuck for them. 1" x 10 tpi. Also steep priced! Heh..Heh

The names I was given was Paul, the neighbor, and Ralph, the owner.

LJP, did Ralph contact you? He called me the other night saying he found some parts for the mill.. I kept trying to interupt him as he wouldn't stop talking! :roflmao:

When I finally got a chance to talk I explained to him that I didn't buy it! He said...... OH! Sorry! :holdphone: :whistle:
:whistle:

What parts did he have? Someone ought to get them.

Robert D.

34-40, no I haven't heard from him, I will try to get in touch. Thanks for the tip.

Back