Atlas Horizontal mill

OK. If you fill the oil cups (assuming that it has cups) and after a week or two, the oil level hasn't gone down any (if you drilled the holes it will have, of course), I would replace the bushings.

I didn't get much time to play with the mill today. But I did pickout some materials that I can use for my version of the "round kickout" that I want to copy from Steve Shannons picture.

I snuck over to the shop and whipped out a crude version of the kickout found on Steve Shannon's mill. And even in this crude unfinished form, it works wonderfully!
I want to re-do the piece with more attention to detail. But as it sits it is a simple and effective piece.

Thanks Steve!

Cool! I guess Atlas wanted to make it look more complicated than it actually had to be so they could sell their proprietary part. First we see Rudy's simple "wedge" solution, then Steve finds one that can be made even more easily. Life is good, guys! Maybe I need to learn how to think more like a machinist and think less about slavish following of the manufacturer's directions.

:frog:

"Slavish Following"... ???...???
That is funny!
The wheel actually does roll across the lever and it is really smooth. Simple and effective.
The only clearance issue was the table lock needs clearancing, Simple work for an end mill.

I haven't followed this closely but my take on the thing is that it's an emergency shut-down in case you drop dead during a cutting pass. Otherwise, who is going to wait all that time for the table to run all the way to the end when it finished the cut several minutes earlier.

I haven't followed this closely but my take on the thing is that it's an emergency shut-down in case you drop dead during a cutting pass. Otherwise, who is going to wait all that time for the table to run all the way to the end when it finished the cut several minutes earlier.
Just so everyone knows, it's not my design. It was on my mill when I got it. It does seem simple and straightforward. Also, can't it be moved to wherever a person wants the feed to stop.

What Steve said. The perceived purpose of the kickoff is not to sit off at one end of the travel but to be moved as needed to turn off the automatic traverse at a pre-determined point. Not absolutely necessary, but a nice feature anyway.

Froggie :frog:

At least in my case, I use it to end a cut. Move it to where it's needed. Why would you go any farther??? That would be a complete waste of time and energy.
Electric costs to much now! LOL..

Anyway, just wanted to say Thanks to Steve for sharing the info and to let you all know it works very nicely. ( easy to do also!)

Well, I can't locate the photo I remember seeing but I must not have understood the location or scale. For some reason I had the impression that it was located on one end of the table. Hence my assumption that it was a Dead-Man cutout.

Back