Atlas lead screw dimensions

As soon as I get the Acme threaded rod I will start to work on it and I will keep you updated. I think I have figured out a simple way of keeping the key straight and I plan on making a pair of brass half nuts while I am at it.. Ray

I've been contemplating how to go about making those too. Making replacement brass nuts for the compound and crossfeed seem trivial by comparison. In looking at the piece to be made, I'm wondering, do I cut the block to size, then cut out the half thread and then mill the final shape? Or, and I'm leaning in this direction, use a rectangle that will have the thread cut in the middle, mill the ends to match the half nut configuration, then cut it in half with a bandsaw. Not having much experience with a vertical mill the most expedient solution doesn't jump to mind.
Then there's the question of where to obtain the appropriate size acme thread tap. I ran across an idea utilized by someone else, where they took the screw which matched the thread pattern they wanted, tapered the end slightly, cut in two furrows with a bit of a rake on the cutting edge, and used that. Fed it in as if it were a boring bar and claimed the results were perfect. As ACME thread tappers are hardly what I would call inexpensive, and add to that I would need three different sizes. That being said, I happen to have a few bits of pristine ACME threaded rod in 2 of the required sizes already, and will happily experiment to see if that method is viable.

Terry

There is several ways you could go about it one way is to take a round piece of brass bore an under size hole through it then split it in half solder it back together. Make sure you do it to a longer piece than you need. Chuck it back up turn the outside and the inside to the proper dimension and I always just thread it on the lathe brass threads nice. After your done warm up the brass till the soft solder releases and you have two perfect halves. Now just take some Foss Copper and braze them onto a couple of brass plates and mill them till everything is square and flat. Foss Copper is a rod similar to silver solder but with no flux it is just as strong as the brass and is easy to use. Ray

Ray,

I wouldn't waste my time trying to make half nuts. It's cheaper to buy them. Remember that contrary to what some people apparently think, the fact than you CAN make something on your lathe does NOT mean that you MUST make it. And if I for some reason had to make them, I definitely would not use brass. While brass wears pretty well, it scarrs easily, too. It's OK for the compound and cross-feed nuts because they are always engaged. But not for half nuts.

Robert D.

Ray,

I wouldn't waste my time trying to make half nuts. It's cheaper to buy them. Remember that contrary to what some people apparently think, the fact than you CAN make something on your lathe does NOT mean that you MUST make it. And if I for some reason had to make them, I definitely would not use brass. While brass wears pretty well, it scarrs easily, too. It's OK for the compound and cross-feed nuts because they are always engaged. But not for half nuts.

Robert D.

My experiance has been brass makes an excellent bearing surface for just about any steel and it is a lot tougher than Zink base metal. New half nuts will cost anywhere from $50 on up with supplies I have I can make them for nothing in my spare time. I spent all this time setting up a nice home shop then I sit around wondering what to make this is a good project for me!!

I always have at least a dozen things that should have been completed last week, last month or last year. I don't have recent cost on half nuts for any of the 6" machines and haven't checked price on the 10"/12" to see whether or not they've gone up. But last year when I bought a set, price from Clausing was $33.01 plus shipping. I'm pretty sure that, starting with all materials and necessary tooling on hand, I couldn't make a set in 40 minutes. :)

As I wrote earlier, brass or bronze wear pretty well against steel and are good choices for the compound and cross slide nuts. But they are relatively soft against scratching and scarring and I wouldn't consider them a very good choice for half nuts.

Robert D.

As it happens, I'm awaiting a response from Jo Olds at Clausing right now, having sent a RFQ for a list of parts I'm needing to complete my retrofit. I'll happily post a copy of the cost for parts when I get it.

Ray,
I had forgotten to update on the half nuts from Clausing. The 10F-12 Half Nuts come as a pair for $34.63. The 10F-19 Brass Nut (Carriage location) is $76.96. And the 9-306 Brass Nut (Compound location) is $44.72. So the half nuts to me would be cost effective to purchase from them.

Other items on the list include the felt oilers 547-004 were $1.00 each, and the wipers 938-003 @ $4.00 each.

For the entire quote all the parts I had requested prices on, it would cost me $813.34 plus tax and shipping, if I order through them. And that amount was not including a lead screw, which I anticipated either purchasing used or fabricating one of my own using the threaded rod from Roton.

Terry

Ray,
I had forgotten to update on the half nuts from Clausing. The 10F-12 Half Nuts come as a pair for $34.63. The 10F-19 Brass Nut (Carriage location) is $76.96. And the 9-306 Brass Nut (Compound location) is $44.72. So the half nuts to me would be cost effective to purchase from them.

Other items on the list include the felt oilers 547-004 were $1.00 each, and the wipers 938-003 @ $4.00 each.

For the entire quote all the parts I had requested prices on, it would cost me $813.34 plus tax and shipping, if I order through them. And that amount was not including a lead screw, which I anticipated either purchasing used or fabricating one of my own using the threaded rod from Roton.

Terry

Thanks for the info I am just about ready to cut the keyway this should not take long I just have to find time this weekend to do it. I dont think I will ever buy stock parts again I can usually make them from a better material at a quarter of the price and it makes a good project. Ray

Back