Atlas lead screw dimensions

OK. I also have a 12" Atlas purchased in early 1981, Model 3996. To date, it is the highest serial number reported. However, it was made in late 1980. So it isn't quite the last one made.. What is your model number and serial number. And which type of cabinet is it in?.
No model number no serial number. Only way I can tell when it was made was by pictures and searching web. I think it's late 30s early 40s. 101 series. It was a special order for original owner. I bought it in Newark Ohio. Around 3 months ago but been playing with metal for years. I wish I could find out more about it. It also has a O'Brian quick change gear box instead of a atlas box. So Frankenstein is it's name from now on.

Before you cut it, PLEASE post a picture of this 8 foot long Atlas lathe!

OK. First off, I must have misread something that you wrote earlier, because the lathe that I have shares only a few generic parts with any Atlas lathe made before mid-1957. Plus, the first Atlas designed and built QCGB didn't come out until about 1947. O'Brian did make some after-market QCGB's that fit the Atlas and Atlas-Craftsman lathes but as far as I know, Atlas did not at least officially sell them.

Let me interject here that "101" was or is the Sears Contractor Code for Atlas. So the Atlas-built parts for any of the 12" lathes that Atlas built for Sears all had part numbers beginning with "101.", If your lathe was built around 1940 and has Timken spindle bearing instead of babbit ones, it is almost certainly a modified 101.07403. Modifications were probably the longer bed and the O'brian QCGB.

OK. First off, I must have misread something that you wrote earlier, because the lathe that I have shares only a few generic parts with any Atlas lathe made before mid-1957. Plus, the first Atlas designed and built QCGB didn't come out until about 1947. O'Brian did make some after-market QCGB's that fit the Atlas and Atlas-Craftsman lathes but as far as I know, Atlas did not at least officially sell them.

Let me interject here that "101" was or is the Sears Contractor Code for Atlas. So the Atlas-built parts for any of the 12" lathes that Atlas built for Sears all had part numbers beginning with "101.", If your lathe was built around 1940 and has Timken spindle bearing instead of babbit ones, it is almost certainly a modified 101.07403. Modifications were probably the longer bed and the O'brian QCGB.
I agree,, but I can tell you from looking at it that the original owner must have drilled and tapped the holes for gear box. Also the bed was a 3/8 flats order which was early date bed and he must have ordered the screw as 3/4" at same time. I did find a catalog on web selling these O'Brian qcgb as a separate order so he might have ordered it by its self to save a few bucks or as a afterthought. All the holes I've found have been drilled and tapped by original owner and the lead screw end at the bed was a small screw mount for the smaller screw that came on the atlas that he must have turned down 3/4"shaft to fit it. Definitely not factory install. But you got to admit you haven't seen many atlas 8 foot beds. This is my first one I've ever even heard of

Did You post this to the Atlas Craftsman group’s Facebook page? I think a lot of folks would like to see this unusual Atlas.

I am amazed that there is no center support for the bed! There has to be some droop over that length.
Pierre

Did You post this to the Atlas Craftsman group’s Facebook page? I think a lot of folks would like to see this unusual Atlas.
No I don't know how ,,I barely know how to text on here. But I'll try. Thank you

Back