Atlas MF lead screw size?

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Milling some 3/8" slots on a fixture this afternoon and all of a sudden, felt the lead nut on the table give way. It's completely gone.

What is the thread type and size on this nut? It's M1-11 in the manual parts list.

Thanks,
Bryan

If you’re looking for size of the lead screw on the MF I measure mine at 1/2” - 10 and what appears to Acme form.

-frank

That’s what I’m measuring too. Thanks for the double check!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

!/2"-10 Acme is correct. We do not have the drawing for M1-11 but we do have the drawings for both M1-35 and M1-35A and they and several catalogs agree on 1/2"-10 Acme.

I don't expect that the factory still has any nuts in stock, although it wouldn't hurt to ask. But assuming that they don't, I see no reason why they wouldn't send you either a TIF or a PDF scan of the drawing. I would rather have the TIF but can use either. So if you will forward me a copy of whichever you get, I will clean it up and add it to Downloads.

Wonder why it failed? AFAIK, no one has yet reported that problem.

Wonder why it failed? AFAIK, no one has yet reported that problem.

The part I'm milling requires using the full travel. A couple of times I got near the end of travel and may have over done it. While I probably finished it off, it felt really sloppy to begin with. I pulled a 1" piece of round brass out of the scrap bin and cut it to length. Waiting for the ACME tap to show up on Monday.

Robert, when I pulled the nut from the saddle casting, I notice that there is a set screw coming in from the right side of the casting - above the gib/dovetail and into the table nut bore. Is this setscrew supposed to capture the table nut- because it wasn't. Judging from the depth of the seat and the length of the nut, I got the impression that the nut wasn't secured in there. I don't see any purpose the screw is serving here. Do I have it right?

Running the end of threads on the longitudinal screw into the nut certainly could have stripped the threads out of the nut.

On the question of a set screw in the table to hold the feed nut in place, neither the exploded view drawing of the M1B, M1C, MFB and MFC tables or either of the section view assembly drawings of the M1A, M1, MFA or MF show any such screw. Can you take a photo of I guess the inverted table showing the table feed nut and the outside end of the tapped hole, mainly to be sure that the hole is where I think you are saying that it is. And attach the photo to the thread? No need for a photo of the table. There is a screw. but it is in the cross slide. see posts 7 and 8 below.

Last edited:
I had to replace my feed nut in my Atlas Mill. The threads in mine were worn so bad they almost looked like V theads with a flat bottom so I had a lot of backlash. When I made mine I single pointed it. I had to turn down the end of a 3/8" boring bar to about 5/16" to be able to do it. And yes that set screw is there to hold the nut in place. It does show it on the parts drawing but it dosn't show how it goes very well. It is a 1/4-20 x 1/2" set screw that comes in from the right and is located just below the gib screws.

OK. I found the screw on the drawings, among the parts for the cross slide, not the table. I went back and reread Bryan's post where he mentions the retaining screw and the table feed screw and see that I misread it. I thought that he was saying that the retaining screw was in the table. Which in retrospect doesn't make any sense as the table feed screw is also attached to the table. In any case, I went back and added a note pointing to this correction. And also, I edited the PDF in the files by swapping the part number and the drawing of M1-11 and turning over the arrow between them to make it clearer that M1-11 is on the cross slide and not the table.

Hi Robert, my 1/2-10 ACME tap arrived today and I replaced the nut. Here are some photos that illustrate some of the points in our thread discussion:

IMG_6870.jpg
Fig. 1 - Yeah, it was stripped. Replacement on the right.

IMG_6872.jpg
Fig. 2 - Set screw entering the cross slide from the right side of the casting. In Fig. 1 you can see where this set screw bit into the nut.

IMG_6873.jpg
Fig. 3 - Loosening the screw with a t-handle hex key.

IMG_6874.jpg
Fig. 4 - View of access hole from the right side of the casting providing a good idea of where the hole is located.

After assembly, I found that this setscrew plays a roll in securing the nut and with some tweaking - provides a sort of makeshift backlash adjustment by tightening or loosening the screw. While I don't believe this is the purpose of the screw, I was able to take up most of the backlash in the nut with some fine adjustment. I'm sure it is temporary at best.

OK. One can see where the set screw was seated onto the nut.

Back