Atlas Mill M1-16 oil filler screw

brandon428

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Does anyone have the details and ideally a picture of the MI-16 oil filler screw for the Atlas MF mills. Mine is missing on my back gear.

The thread is 10-24, with a thread depth of ~1/4", and a shoulder for the screw head that's 0.235 wide with a shoulder depth of ~0.100. Doesn't appear to be much clearance, and it looks like a screw with a head on the parts list, so it presumably needs to fit flush in that shoulder.

Can't think of any off the shelf screw that's going to have a head that small.

I can see if mine still has it. If it does I'll try and remove it and take pict and some measurements for you.

I sincerely hope that this isn't the first time that you have removed it!

I don't have any but it shouldn't be hard to either find or make from a common #10-24 binding head or Fillister head screw.

But before looking for one, you should know that the part number begins with M1-, not MI-. The fonts used seldom make that clear but if you will look at the model numbers in the catalogs you will see that the three models were M1, MF and MH through M1C, MFC and MHC. And the part numbers followed suit.

Last edited:
Measurements would be great.

I hadn't used the back gear recently, but when I engaged it to use it, and went to oil it, noticed the screw was missing. I squired some oil in there and ran it for a few minutes, but that's obviously not a long term/robust solution.

Thanks for the tip on the part numbers.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I had looked for cheese head (what you call Fillister head) screws, but all the ones I could find locally and online were metric.

Try McMaster. Enter fillister and it brings up about 20 different ones, a few called Cheese Head, most Fillister head. The ones called Slotted Cheese Head seem to have narrower slots.

Try McMaster. Enter fillister and it brings up about 20 different ones, a few called Cheese Head, most Fillister head. The ones called Slotted Cheese Head seem to have narrower slots.
Yeah, I did after your suggestion and found them. All the ones coming up under cheese head were metric.

Nothing off the shelf unfortunately, the head diameters on McMaster are .313 versus a slot of .235. That's an awfully small slot.

OK. "Cheese head" seems sorta appropriate for being metric.

I don't understand your last two sentences above. The part of it up through the ".313" makes sense. The part starting with "versus" does not. Did you mean that the diameter of the slotted head of M1-16 is 0.235"? If so, what is so small about the length of the slot (which would be 0.235") which would be greater than on a #10-24 slotted head set screw (something around 0.187" or a little smaller)?

OK. "Cheese head" seems sorta appropriate for being metric.

I don't understand your last two sentences above. The part of it up through the ".313" makes sense. The part starting with "versus" does not. Did you mean that the diameter of the slotted head of M1-16 is 0.235"? If so, what is so small about the length of the slot (which would be 0.235") which would be greater than on a #10-24 slotted head set screw (something around 0.187" or a little smaller)?
Both .313 and .235 referred to width/diameters, not length.

There is a shoulder cut flush to ~0.100 below the surface of the shaft which is .235" wide. Centered and below that shoulder is a 10-24 thread about 1/4" deep. So this means the M1-16 screw is 1/4" long with a head diameter of <= .235" and a head depth of <= .100".

Here you go. This is from my MFB Mill.
It's a small sucker. I almost lost it into the sump. Luckily it landed on the narrow shelf right below.

Hope this helps.

IMG_6255.JPG
IMG_6256.JPGIMG_6257.JPGIMG_6258.JPGIMG_6260.JPG

Back