Atlas milling machine refresh project

Yes, I know. The Pic-O-Matic gearbox was discontinued as soon as the 1500 GCQB came out. But I've wondered more than once why they didn't offer the gear stand as an accessory for the horizontal indexer. Or for that matter, just for the garden variety change gear lathes. I would think that they would have sold quite a few of them.

I have been following this thread closely. Several months ago I purchased a beat up MFC, more like a kit of parts than a functioning machine. This thread had been immensely helpful.

I am installing a spindle belt, following the directions given in the Atlas instruction manual. There was no cushion material beneath the threaded collar on the left side of the spindle. I mean the collar that is used to set the bearing pre load. It was probably lost many years and several owners ago. The spindle threads were mangled where the set screw had contacted the spindle. I was able to clean up the threads so that the collar now threads on freely.

When I put it back together I want to use a cushion material so the threads don't get messed up again. I'm thinking of a slug of Nylon or maybe a soft tipped set screw. Does anyone know what the "cushion" material that Atlas speaks of in their instruction manual actually is? Has anyone found a substitute material that works well?

Thanks!

Jon,

Although I have seen the material referred to as lead, I bought some of the parts from Clausing and what I received is brass. You can buy the parts from Clausing. I did but I was also buying other parts at the time (and FWIW the parts were for a lathe). However, if you don't need other parts, and if you have the capability to cut off short pieces of brass rod without leaving a burr on one end, you can buy one piece of rod from most any hobby store (and many other places as well) and make the two that you need. I think that nylon would be too soft, and unless the soft tipped set screws that you buy are tipped with brass or lead, they are probably too soft as well.

I have also heard of using lead shot for cushioning. If you know someone that reloads shotgun shells you should be able to get several pellets from them.

I have an assortment of soft solders of different diameters and alloys. I'll try that. Thanks everyone.

Be sure that the solder doesn't contain flux. If it does, you won't like the consequences.

Right. I have some that don't. I do worry that once the solder gets mashed against the spindle threads I will not be able to release it easily by unscrewing the set screw. I might have to remove the threaded collar with a pipe wrench and pick the solder out.

Maybe brass is a better idea. Solder may be too maleable.

Yes, I think so. But I wasn't going to argue with you. :)

VSAncona:

This thread contains a treasure trove of information and photographs! Thank you!
I have one request:
If you have opportunity, and there is no rush on this I won't have mine up and running for several months yet, can you sketch and dimension out the support bar on the front of the machine?

Vince_006_zps521e5c77 (2).jpg
Part number: M1-61 bar

It seems these are as rare as 50 carat diamonds and Ebay scrappers want to retire on the sale of them. I don't have a vault full of Krugerrands so I'll have to make one.
TIA!

Spiral_Chips

Are you a member of the Yahoo Atlas Shaper and Milling Machine group? If not, you should join it (it's free, but you have to be "approved" by the moderator). There is a PDF drawing with measurements of the part you are looking for. It's much nicer than anything I could do.

Back