Atlas milling machine refresh project

That's probably too loose unless the spindle and gears are warm. The Atlas Technical Bulletin on the 6" headstock for the most part applies to the mill as well. The spindle and back gears are either the same or close to it. As Downloads is Down for the foreseeable future, I just attached a PDF of it. It says that with the belt slack and the bearings at the proper preload, there should be a slight drag as you rotate the spindle by hand, However, it is notable that all of the headstock bulletins are written as though the bearing cones were a push fit on the spindle. Which seems never to be the case. So approach the zero end float point slowly. And use a dial indicator on the spindle nose end to check for zero.

Attachments

• Tech Bulletin 6 612 618 Back Gear Instr.pdf
    93 KB · Views: 26
I've got it running a little better now. I tried swapping out the arbor and the second one seems to be doing a better job. I don't know if it's the arbor or the cutter, but it's running smoother. I put up a short video clip of it running:

i have a pick a gear holder and most of the gears. and an original atlas indexer tailstock in near new condition if you could use them.

Shawn,

I would be interest in the Pic-O-Gear holder. I have the complete horizontal indexer for the MFx except for the gear stand. I haven't looked at the tailstock in a year (because I'm still working on the spot to set the mill up in) so don't recall what condition it's in. Will have to check.

Well, we live fairly close. So just let me know..

Yep, I noticed that sometime after writing my previous. I'm in Spring Branch just inside the Beltway, so maybe 30 miles. Let me get the crate open and take a fresh look at the tailstock I have, and also check the gears. I think that I have a full set but haven't actually counted them.

If our moderator does pass on the purchase - can I request a shot at it?

If I don't get the crate opened today, I'll do it tomorrow.

OK. I do not need the tailstock. But I do want the Pic-O-Gear stand. PM or email me your asking price and how you want to be paid. And although we aren't that many miles apart, the majority of the city of Houston is in between and it's probably cheaper and certainly less time invested to ask you to ship it.

The Pic-o-gear stand wasn't really a mill accessory. It was offered with the Pick-o-Matic lathe. Atlas only made them for a couple of years, so they are fairly rare and hard to come by.

Back