Atlas shaper cabinet stand?

BTW I thought of one more things that would be useful to keep with the shaper like a tube of "Tacky Red" grease for the bull gear and to charge to grease cups with.

I was able to download the Atlas manual, just a few lubrication points... :xmaslights: Thirty five spots on a rather small machine, that would not be fun to figure out without documentation. Probably easier to just dunk the whole thing in a barrel of oil before each use.

shaper lubrication.jpg

Look at abom79. He has quite few shaper videos. Any of the older machine shop text books will have a section on planers and shapers as well. I'm sure if you have specific questions you could ask them here too.
I suspect that the belt guard on the atlas works as a belt cage. When the clutch is released the belt springs out of the groove and against the belt guard. If there isn't some kind of cage the belt will contact the pulley and either smoke the belt or the machine will continue to move. You can construct a belt cage quite simply with sheet metal strips if you don't want to fabricate the whole belt guard.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Do not under rate the the lube on the 7, especially the ram and the sliding block. Most of the scouring problems and wear are on these two things. This is plate that was in the large belt guard of some 7's, most likely in the ones supplied to schools. I want to someday make a new one and make it available to Atlas owners, because lubing is very important on these machines. This is one of the things that made the South Bend shaper better with an internal oil pump on some versions.
shaperlubeplate_770.jpg

This is interesting. I have a 7B and I don't see how the belt guard provides drag. Can you explain?
Rudy's vid used to be on YouTube in its entirety but was partly taken down :( I know he's been gone for a while and the vids were made quite a while ago. Most of the other vids I've seen on YouTube are nowhere as good. It's not one of those things I'd get out now but it was really great when I first got my shaper to give the idea of all the adjustments. I was really lucky to find my 7b locally in an estate sale. It was complete with vise, tool holder, universal wrench and only missing the motor belt guard. Which is crucial if you want the clutch to work properly with the motor running as it gives the motor belt drag when the clutch is engaged. I was able to find an old cast iron version in perfect shape on eBay for $125 after months of watching.

This is interesting. I have a 7B and I don't see how the belt guard provides drag. Can you explain?
The motor belt was shot on mine, looked like the original:) I thought that’s why the clutch creeped and I basically had to stop the motor to get it to completely stop. With the new belt it was worse. I got to looking at the motor belt and with the clutch in the belt naturally made an O and caused enough drag on the pulleys still to creep. With the clutch in and it running I took a couple of pieces of metal and squeezed the slack belt in the space between the motor and jack shaft pulley and it quit creeping. The belt cleared the motor pulley. The belt cover is a pretty close fit so when the clutch is in the belt rubs lightly on the cover , effectively squeezing the belt like i did and stopped the creep. That’s a really handy thing IMHO because now it stops right where I want it.

Back