• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Atlas Shaper Tool Holders

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

vocatexas

Can anybody tell me the numbers I need to find some tool holders for my Atlas? Mine didn't come with any; I have just been putting cutting tools in the tool post which can be rather limiting. I've been watching E-bay for holders, but I'm uncertain which ones are correct. I know most of the ones I've seen are holders for larger shapers like G&E or Cincinnati.

francist

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
For a 1/4" square tool bit, the Armstrong holder is a No. 0
I use the "T" designated ones which present the cutter parallel with the base of the holder rather than at an angle. So,
T-0-R, T-0-S, T-0-L.

I don't have the Atlas shaper, but one just a little bigger. Same size tool though as what Atlas recommended in their catalogues. Without the holder, 3/8" bits straight into the lantern.

Took me a while to find all three, especially the T-style.

-frank

Edit- oh, and if you're looking for the Universal holder (the one that has the multi-position head angle) I believe it will be an Armstrong No. 39. Do not buy the the No. 40 as I did, it will be too big.

-f

Last edited:

vocatexas

Thank you VERY much! That is exactly the information I needed. I almost bought a No. 40 a few days ago, but realized it was too big. Now I know exactly what to watch for on Ebay and Craigslist.

[6]
[5] [7]