Atlas taper attachment

cross thread

Registered
Registered
Taper attachment in question is the number 700 "tool room" model for a 9-10 inch , the overall length of the fixed slide rail is 15 inches . I'm wondering if it would fit my 6-18 inch ?
Thanks , Mark .
1631564320935.png

Last edited:
The 10" and the 6" both have flat ways, so the attachment should fit the lathe fine, but the stack height of the cross slide on the 10" is a little higher (going from memory), so the sliding block may need to be adjusted. They do make a version that is a direct fit for the 6" lathes that usually sells for less than the 10" versions. Do you have a line on one?

Hi John , the box ways on the 10" I would imagine are a little thicker so a simple shim will fix that . Same for the stack height on the cross slide .
I'm aware of the 760 taper attachment and I have been looking , they seem to be scarce to some degree and yes I'm aware of Joel's offering .
While looking for a 760 to fit my machine , I noticed the 700 . Now that is an attachment that really gets my Atlas attention , I don't need one I want one . And I'm only interested in factory . I have asked sellers the over all length for the 700 , seems 15" is it . That seems short .
I just purchased a pair of factory stand legs (been looking for about 5 years) so I'm a little tapped out right now , next month I think I will take a chance on the 700 taper attachment .
Thanks for your post , Mark .

Up until late 1947, the 10" and 12" were available in four bed lengths for down to 18" between centers, I have always assumed that Atlas didn't want to supply four different taper attachments. Plus the probability of needing to cut a taper longer than a few inches is small. So I guess that they couldn't justify a longer one economically.

Also, if you click on your User ID in the main tool bar, you can set up your signature to automatically add in this case "Mark" to the end of each post.

You can also upload a photo to replace the "C" in a circle which is your default avatar

Thanks for the info Robert , I think that model 700 taper attachment will fit my 6" I'm going to get one . I'll let you guys know how it goes .
Mark .

OK. Let us know how it works out. I wouldn't expect that the bed length would be a problem as up until mid to late 1947, the Atlas 10" and the Craftsman 12" were both made with short beds for 18" between centers.

OK Robert will do , I'm pretty excited I'm almost sure I can make it work . Many beers ago when I had my machine shop that sometimes made money , I had a sweet little 14x40 Mori with a taper attachment and I had a job a repeating job that used the TA . I think I kind of have a thing for TA's
Mark .

Seeing this post made me remember I got one with a 12” under drive craftsman commercial lathe several years ago. Went and dug it out of some older “stuff “. Was going to modify for use on my 11”Sheldon but never did.

Attachments

• 245808A7-804B-435F-A57F-18D58EF7D81A.jpeg
    245808A7-804B-435F-A57F-18D58EF7D81A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • E4C2F50B-A572-423A-810B-64010F25BFB9.jpeg
    E4C2F50B-A572-423A-810B-64010F25BFB9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
Back