Atlas taper attachment

Clamp with the numbers fits a flat way lathe

Did at one time but not anymore.

They aren't factory but there is a set of drawings in Downloads (requires Donor status to access) for making most of the later TA for the 1/2" bed machines. I checked the drawings against my factory unit and they are OK.

Hi Robert , please explain what you mean by "making the most" . The 1/2 bed on the 6 inch is actually .430 , that wouldn't be a problem . A problem that I see with mounting the mod. 700 TA on a 6 inch is the saddle of the carriage is small compared to a 10-12 inch Atlas . The mod 700 TA requires 3/8 bolts to mount , the saddle is not that thick to tap for a 3/8 bolt , also the TA mount would block the gibs . Of course there are ways to get around all this . Another thing that would make this doable is a Bridgeport type mill . I'm not giving up .
Mark .
1631984430600.png

Last edited:
Mark,

i didn't say "making the most of". I said that the reverse engineered drawings are there for making most of the 760 parts. What's missing are the two clamps that attach to the rear way and the bar with pointer and scale that connects the two. I think that the guy who did the original drawings had those parts and only drew the parts that he was missing.

Also, there are three assembly part numbers involved with the three taper attachment models that Atlas made over the years. The one that we have nothing on is the 700 so-called Tool Room TA. Most of the drawings that were done fit both the 760 for the 3/8" and the 6188 for the 1/2" bed machines. I think that the only two parts that only originally fit the 6188 is a spacer washer (to adjust for the difference in height of the compounds between 10" and early 12" and the late 12") and two small brass plugs. The former is not needed on the 10" and early 12". The latter can and should be retrofitted to the 765.

I was aware that the ways on the 6" bed are actually thicker @ 0,430" than the ones on the bed used on the 9", 10" and early 12" @ 0.375".

I need some help here. I tried to down load the pdf file for the atlas 6822 taper attachment but I get a blank page. I haven’t been on here for a while but I didn’t think that would matter. I need to down load the file to do a parts check on my taper attachment that I had for my 10f lathe. I sold the 10in. Last summer and now I’m trying to unload the accessories that was with it. The parts bag had the instructions that said 6822 on it ,but is that for the 12 in. Lathe with the 1/2 in. Bed? I purchased this from clausing 25 years ago for my 10in. but never used it I need to see if it truly is for the 12 or 10in. Lathe before I put it up for sale. So how do I determine if it is a 6822 or 760 taper attachment. The gauge bracket has the part number 10-671, does indicate a 10in. unit?

Last edited:
The 10-671 gauge bracket indicates that you have a 760 taper attachment.

The 760 also fits early 12" lathes. I would advertise it as a model 760 and let the buyer go from there.

Back