Atlas vs Chinese lathe?

I have an Atlas. I had a Grizzly before. As much as I like my Atlas, the Grizzly was head and shoulders above in the utility category. If it’s me, I’d put my time and effort into the Grizzly. But…that’s not what I did. I used the Grizzly to fix up the Atlas, then sold the Grizzly. I often lament that decision.

My vote ... never settle on a lathe/mill combo; always choose a lathe that can cut threads without having to sort through a bunch of change gears.

Thanks for all the replies. I've been lurking here for a while. Your forum is informative and helpful.

I do plan to get all three working properly before I make any decision. It wouldn't make sense to keep one that's not functional. Besides they are worth alot more in working order.

The grizzly lathes are unused, came from the scratch and dent sale and never unpacked or hooked up.

I plugged in the M1099 and the motor starter clicked but motor didn't run or buz. I expect it's either bad wiring or motor starter. I think this lathe will be the easiest to sell because it's a 110V plug in bench top model.

I haven't tried up the G0791 (gunsmith lathe). It has never been wired up yet and requires 220V. It has an obvious problem, the milling attachment is broken where it attaches to the lathe. It appears to have been that way when he bought it because it has strapping to hold it in place. It came with a 4 jaw chunk in addition to the 3 jaw installed. I like the separate threading and power feed shafts. It's extremely similar to my old harbor freight lathe with the same style casting, controls, casting etc. I'm pretty sure they are the same base model built at different times for different customers with different options. If I keep one of the Chinese lathes, this would be my preference.

I actually want a small lathe. I sometimes need to work on small parts and a 6 to 9 inch lathe would be appropriate. I'm not in a production environment. My lathes are seldom used. I'd love to have a nice South Bend 9 but the atlas came up at a good price.

Here's a few pics of a big project I used my big south bend on this summer.

I had a bearing collar come loose on the shaft of a roller. We didn't notice it because it was hidden behind a large sprocket. Well I didn't notice it until the bearing race wore the shaft in two...

This pic shows the roller with the shaft end broken off.

1707706455867.png

Last edited:
We installed a cut off bolt as a dowel to center the shafts then started welding it back together.

That's my step son Ben in the pic. He's a metal fabricator/welder.

You will notice the FRCs covering the lathe bed to protect it from splatter.

1707706787330.png

Back