Atlas?

Here's those pics I said I'd take another thing I'm wondering is the live tailstock center I have was really tight I greased it but it was still tight so I toke it apart to clean it and pack it with new grease. I guess my question is how free should it spin and what type of lubricant should I use.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407712121.792427.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1407712134.523148.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1407712149.544982.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407712121.792427.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407712134.523148.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407712149.544982.jpg

Use any good wheel bearing grease on the tapered roller bearing and on what looks in your photo a ball bearing. The center should turn freely with only a slight but noticable drag. I'd guess that adjustment was by shims, probably between the roller bearing cone and the shoulder it is pressed against.

Robert D.

There is no need to adjust a taper roller bearing on your live centre such as is shown in the picture as it will automatically take up the slack when you turn the head stock hand wheel . Use a light oil mixed in some general bearing grease you'd use to repack a vehicle wheel bearing in the grease nipple.

The live centre should barely have any drag on it when correctly set up and lubricated .

What you will need to do is keep checking the " un powered still work piece with the lathe turned off and reset the hand wheel for the work piece heats up due to the friction and shearing when you are turning off metal .
This will cause the worked piece to expand, aluminium and copper are the biggest rogues for this . The expanding metal puts a lot of pressure on not only the live centre bearing but also on the lathe head sock bearing. n

:nono: Not so long ago I had forgotten to adjust my dead tail stock centre , the expansion became so much that it stopped the lathe as the expansion put so much pressure / braking force on the centre & the lathe head stock bearings .

Because of this expansion of metal problem I've taken to slipping the hot / warm aluminium work pieces into a plastic bucket of cold water to cool them down , then dry them off and check my measurements whilst they are stone cold.

Now, if you had a pumped coolant system the expansion problem would be much reduced ...

:rofl: I'm dreaming of making one from a cheap small garden pond pump and a simple plunger spindle by pass " T " valve I have out in my garage

Some good info here for you I would agree with one of the other post find someone you know that can kind of help you along and point you in the right direction so you dont hurt yourself or the machine you will have a lot of fun then. Ray

Back