Attach hook to cable end

gard

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I am replacing the 1/2" cable in the Farmi skidding winch for the tractor. The new cable came with a ferrule attached to the end but I cannot find any fitting that will attach a hook to the end. I could cut it off and use a thimble and cable clamps. Anyone know of a source for a commercial connector? I have spent some time on Google but have not hit the correct search terms. Also drawing a blank at the local industrial supply parts counters. I will probably end up fabricating something.

KIMG2040.jpg

Might want to start looking at Mcmaster Carr if nothing more that to gain familiarity with names
Wire rope
Winch cable

A thimble and 3 cable clamps (Saddle Connectors) will work fine. If you need a more compact, neat connection a compression sleeve is the way to go but you need special tool to make the crimp.

Thanks for the info, I would like to make use of the compression sleeve that is already on the new cable. This could also work as a swivel connector.
Mcmaster has the below fitting for $85 but only up to 3/8, I need 1/2"

1703613672861.png

Last edited:
Look around for a local rigging shop, you may find a local place that can swedge a proper eye on there. It shouldn't cost much!

Thanks for the info, I would like to make use of the compression sleeve that is already on the new cable. This could also work as a swivel connector.
This isn't the place to cheap out. Anything swiveling on the cable will wear it out, buy a swivel and rated rigging!
If you can't find a rigging shop, splice an eye and use a cable clamp.

Is the other end of the cable raw?
If yes, you need a regular choker end like used for skidding logs.
I will try to find a picture of what I am referring to.

1703614309671.pngyou get the correct size for your wire rope, slip this part over the cable on the top hole, wrap the cable around log and then put the knob through the bottom and it cinches up on the log as you pull.

You've already been pointed to the right answer. That cable was designed to have the choker hooks threaded on before it is spooled on the winch. That's a very nice option if you want to go that route. But if you're not bunching big logs.....

How much do you use this thing? If you want a (somewhat) spendy (make sure you're sitting down) but lifetime solution that will outlive dozens of cables, here is a somewhat pricey option, that not only works as advertised, it works WAY better than advertised. It's completely reusable, and the percentage of rope strength retained is hypothetical. Like a factory swage. It reduces the rope strength technically, but in practice it is not the weak link. Maintenance consists over the life of a dozen ropes will consist of probably having to replace two grade 8 bolts if you've buggered the threads, which you probably will.

Short of that... A loose thimble and some clamps.
"Fist Grip" cable clips/clamps are an upgrade over the standard U-bolt and saddle type. They're applied in the same quantity and spacing as the U-bolt type, although you can "get away" with less. Or the standard U-bolt type. On a half inch rope, you'll want to turn back a foot of rope (Technicallly it's eleven and some change, a foot's going to be fine). The "live" side ALWAYS gets a saddle, on EVERY clamp. Space them equally, with the "end" one being close enough to the thimble to "almost but not quite" pinch the rope against the point of the thimble.

All that said... You've gone and bot a really nice swaged rope there. I'd hate to bollix up a brand new cable like that with clamps. I'd probably be inclined to get hold of a "sliding choker hook", which comes in a multitude of descriptions, and slide it on from the opposite end of the rope. That's gonna be a problem if you break the cable, as there's almost nobody anymore willing to take on the liablity of swaging on a new stop if you have to shorten it..... But that's what I'd do. If you're OK with cable management, and keep some oil in it, that rope should last decades.

Back