Attach hook to cable end

I thought I should share my results...
I have used the hook assembly for logging about 30 cords this winter and it did not work all that well as initially designed. I found it was hard to hook onto a chain if it was in a cramped location or if the chain was tight. This happens sometimes, especially when pulling several logs at the same time with a chain on each.
First I modified the hook to give a little more clearance for the chain, then made the end of the connector (where the bolt goes thru smaller, finally I found I needed to add an additional link between the hook and adapter. This allows the hook to rotate in an additional direction.
First is the original
KIMG2063.jpg

Next is the slimmed down version
KIMG2188.jpg

Which helped only a little, finally an added shackle to provide the additional degree of freedom. A couple links of chain at the end of the cable may be even better.
KIMG2190 (1).jpg

I can now see the advantage of the wire rope with thimble as recommended to me early on in this adventure, around $100 depending on size. Below is a screen grab from mcmaster carr.
Or just attaching a hook to one of those keyhole sliders. It always seems like a process to build and test new stuff.

1708955094946.png

If you get a chance to use a system with sliders and skidder chokers you will be amazed at how much better they work.

Here is a very amateur video showing how to hook up a skidder choker to a slider. The main winch line is poorly rigged, so ignore it and just see how the slider works on the mainline and how easy each end of the choker is to hook up and remove.

I am amazed at how little information there is on the internet about skidder chokers and slider systems.

I've never seen anyone do this, but you could use your winch line for one choker, then sliders for the rest. The drawback to this is that the mainline is heavier, and less flexible for hooking up the first log. The other drawback is that there is going to be wear on the mainline from the choker bell pulling directly perpendicular to the line, and the line would have to be shortened now and then. Because of using the choker bell, the new nub would have to be swedged by a shop, not in the field.

Wallenstein-FX-Skidding-Winch-Winch-Cable-End.jpg

I've been referring to sliders, and posted photos of them. They are a good way to hook chokers to a winch line. I hadn't been able to find a photo of an end bell, which is the one that goes on the very end of the winch line. I was talking to a friend at his shop the other day, and noticed this one on a shelf, so I took a couple of pictures of it.

End Bell 1.jpg
End Bell 2.jpg
You bring the end of the winch line in through the hole in the top of the bell, and put a "quick nub" field-attachable stop on the end of the winch line. The lowest slider bears on the rounded top end of this bell, and the "skidder" choker hooks to it by placing the nub on the end of the choker in the big opening and sliding the cable through the curved slot so it extends out the bottom of the bell. This causes a straight pull from the winch line to the log. This one is a "midget" size bell, a 12M, and I believe it is the smallest that was offered. If using a very small winch line, some sort of washer may be necessary to allow enough contact area between the quick nub and the bell. I don't think Esco sells these any more, but they are available used from logging supply houses in my area who make up chokers.

Thanks for that info, I was trying to picture what an end bell looked like. I assume the 12 mm refers to the cable size, so this should work for my 1/2 inch cable.

A 12M works well for 5/8" and 3/4" main line. A 1/2" main line is marginal, and as I mentioned above, make sure the nub you put on the end of the line is either large enough to transfer the load to the bell, or use some sort of washer to spread out the load over a larger area. That big hole in the top of the bell removes a lot of load transfer area!

Back