Automatic Feed Stop

Bill,

is the black part the carriage hand wheel? It looks backwards from my grizzly, or maybe I'm looking at the back side of your drawing.

i would love to do this sort of mod to my lathe. Show us more as you move forward with the mod!

jim

Yes that is the hand wheel to move the carriage manually.

I got this idea from someone who posted something similar for disengaging the threading nuts. I just wanted to make it like a simple add on. Once I get it all planned out I will be adding it to my mini-lathe. Since the threading nut is also used to feed I can use this for stopping a thread at a shoulder as well as a feed up to a shoulder.

Just finished the first part. The Engagement Lever.

Lever.jpg

Lever.jpg

Today I did some hunting for stock and things needed to finish the Stop. I found just about all I am going to need except I was thinking of changing the Pins in the actuator rod to just clamp collars. I only had one so will have to buy some. I knew I should have stocked up on stuff before I left my last job.
Anyway....being such a short list that I need to buy I am trying to think of other things I need to order while I am at it to cover shipping charges.

Guess I'll spend the evening thumbing through the McMaster catalog.

I like this idea.
I am also thinking about doing this with a micro switch and a solenoid. I feel like that may be more repeatable. Thoughts?
R

well this is for my mini-lathe which uses the same feed lever for both cutting and threading. So this will work great for doing either up to a shoulder. It will stop the saddle in the same spot every time.

Decided to remove the cross feed plate today. That way it will be easier to locate all mounting holes. Of course while I was at it I thought maybe I should make an extension for the hand wheel to get it out a bit further. (always something to improve) While taking a short break I decided to put in my order to McMaster Carr since I found a could things I could use. Will post a photo once I have everything mocked up and ready to mount.

Got the apron on and all the parts that go on it today. Will post a photo later. Tomorrow will be working on the adjustable stop for it. With lathe running I can shut off feed by pushing on the actuator rod. So it should work perfect.

Back