Automatic transmission

tim81

Registered
Registered
Hi Guys,

The 2004 ram1500 auto transmission is hesitating a bit. Has anyone done a automatic transmission rebuild. If anyone can share a ray of light on what tools does one need to do it?

I have most mechanical tools and extractors but never opened an automatic transmission before.

Tim

The last couple of automatics that I rebuilt were all Ford units...

A good set of snap ring pliers are a requirement...

A clutch drum spring compressor is a requirement...

Screenshot_20231126_205525_Chrome.jpg

A set of seal installing tools is a big help...

With the Ford transmissions, there were also various proprietary gage blocks and other gizmos that are used to determine the needed thickness of various thrust washers... I would assume the Dodge transmissions are the same way.

The most important tool is a GOOD overhaul manual for your particular transmission... this is an absolute necessity.

Good luck!

-Bear

The last automatic transmission rebuild that I did was over fifty years ago. However, Chrysler, like other manufacturers seem to lean more and more toward custom tools. (It helps keep the competition down.) I would suggest that the first tool you need is the service manual. If you don't have the Chrysler manual, the ones from Alldata are fairly good. https://www.alldata.com/diy-us/en

I rebuilt a Borg Warner type auto transmission for a Jaguar XJ6 years ago, I don't remember needing any special tools for the job.

Make sure it isn’t a sensor that is causing the problems. Had problems with a Ram 2500 with a Cummins engine. The transmission was fine , but one sensor was a problem that didn’t show up with a code fault.
A long time ago I had an Oldsmobile that acted up. From the symptoms I was sure the transmission was bad,but the problem turned out to be a sensor on the engine. I think it might have been the mass air flow sensor. Sure was cheaper than a transmission job.

How many miles on it? Before you pull n' pray try pulling the filter and inspecting it for loose bits of metal and fibers. Could be a flush and new filter/fluid will get you by if it's relatively clean.

I had rebuilt GM, Ford, Catapillar, and JCB transmissions 25 years ago. A Good manual, Snap ring pliers, Clutch Drum Spring compressor, and a lathe helps, (for reworking seal grooves) are required. I used to get Good kits and manuals and used hard parts from a place in Texas, I believe it was called Bulk Auto Parts. I will check my books and the internet to see if they are still around. Good manuals could be had from “Automatic Transmission Service Group”. https://atsg.com/about-us/
They now charge a fee for membership though.

Last edited:
I would get an estimate from a trans shop first- like the others have said it could be a sensor or a solenoid pack
or even just a fluid change with the proper fluid
In the old days GM clutch? bands sometimes needed adjustment after many miles

Last edited:
Back