Automatic transmission

My brother has a 2001 Ram 1500, 91,000 miles on it now, that has had 2 transmission rebuilds. But he does push snow with it. There should be some pressure tests that can be done to check.

I had rebuilt GM, Ford, Catapillar, and JCB transmissions 25 years ago. A Good manual, Snap ring pliers, Clutch Drum Spring compressor, and a lathe helps, (for reworking seal grooves) are required. I used to get Good kits and manuals and used hard parts from a place in Texas, I believe it was called Bulk Auto Parts. I will check my books and the internet to see if they are still around. Good manuals could be had from “Automatic Transmission Service Group”. https://atsg.com/about-us/
They now charge a fee for membership though.

Wow thanks a lot guys. I will try to get the service manual first and do some test as you mentioned it might be a sensor or electrical fault. One simptom that it does. If I let the brake lose from start position is goes with low impulses and then it stops.

$75 PER MONTH​

ATSG technicians have 300+ years of combined hands on experience available to answer your tech problems on both imports and domestic automatic transmissions. Spanish speaking techs are available.

Expensive

I seen some guys use a hydraulic pump and plates to test them some years back, and then I said stick to manual transmissions.

I got a course on use my about automatic transmissions let’s hope it helps me a bit to see if I can undertake something like this or not

I suggest you search Youtube for videos showing what you want to do. There may be something very helpful regarding your project.
Oh yes I am doing it too. But cross referencing the course was 10$ so if I can save a few hours searching it’s worth ;)

Back