AWW FUDGE! Busted my TH42 compound slide!

So I finally got to where i could stand to look at it again.

A closer examination of the break reveals it had been propagating for a long time. From the looks of the origin point, longer than I have had it. Crack started in the middle of the piece somehow and worked it's way out.

It was a ticking bomb and only a matter of time before it would go "kaboom".

Last edited:
Can you measure height of compound.i have one in my extras pile but it looks taller than yours

“Purists” may want to look away at this point:

D491C640-87F5-41D4-832A-AE24E6F3803A.jpeg

This is pure “working with what I have available”.

I haven’t spun it up yet, but if it works, that chunk of round will becone a plinth for my qctp.

The top is just a “drill and tap” for the tool post, the bottom I can get very close with the drills and finish with a little boring.

By coincidence, the piece I parted off in my other thread is very close to the right height for a plinth. If I can face off a bit of it, it will be bang on.

If this works, I can leave the broken compound slide with the machine shop and they can build a new one with the old one for measurements.

Fingers crossed it cuts decently...

Last edited:
Most of the top slides on these old Atlas/Craftsman lathe are fragile castings. Making a new one out of steel will outlast all of us.

With that milling attachment you could tackle making a new slide, just will take time due to light cuts. As for your setup, sharp tool and light cuts to start and I would think you will be fine.

Well, it looks a little “ungainly”, but it’s making chips:

4D531618-3BCB-41D8-8106-E3DE718CA80B.jpeg

I can take a .020 cut without any protest from the rig. I don’t want to push it any more than that.

My little “home brew” micrometer stop is also working out. I can actually make accurate cuts with it.

I’m having to pretty much “sit on top of it” while its running to make sure it’s not having a problem, but it’s working. At least I can enjoy the scenery while stuck in one spot:

0EC419A0-08BD-4217-9D20-88E5A23BCD82.jpeg

:)

This might work out OK after all...especially considering that compound slide was going to break sooner or later and it became trapped this time rather than shooting across the shop or something worse...

Last edited:
Oh yeah baby!

B13CCC01-70DF-4006-A239-4EC73E6A0EB0.jpeg

That is so money!

I was able to get the machining done that I needed by holding the qctp holders in the milling attachment. It was a little “fiddle-y” but I got it.

All thats left now is drilling and tapping. One on the top for the qctp hold down bolt and two for the cross slide hold downs.

Now that I can use the lathe again, I can think about building my own compound slide. I think I can with the milling attachment (and a few new cutters), but it’s going to take some “creative postioning” as the milling attachment vice is just small enough that it will only hold the work piece in one way. I have to install in on the cross slide and make sure I have enough travel to cut the dovetails and T slot.

But, happy with how this has turned out so far!

Man, I am so glad I can build and repair my own stuff. You’re just never stuck when you have tools and even a sprinkle of knowledge.

You may have to make a bolt on adapter to hold the work piece in the milling attachment. Almost all the machining is on the dovetail side and done with one set up. The top surface is simply fly cut and a hole drilled and tapped for the tool post bolt. Other than time, I would go for it.

Looks like a nice fix with the solid mount and no cross slide. More rigid that way. Could just leave it like that for most all work. See if the original cross could be welded for the occasional time it might be necessary, threading, tapers, etc.. keep an eye on eBay until something turns up?

Back