AWW FUDGE! Busted my TH42 compound slide!

Well, I seemed to have missed something when I made the solid mount. IN order to put the "pinch pins" in the mount, I need to drill two holes and then install two screws to drive the pins. The mount wall is thick enough for the pins, but not the pins and the screws.

So tomorrow, I'm going to look at machining up a couple "nubs" and welding them to the tool post so i can have enough depth to drill and mount the screws and the pins.

It's all pretty thick, hopefully it doesn't warp. If it does, a little clean up work will probably set it back to right.

would it work to make a couple very short pins out of brass? Not use the original ones. just something the screws could push against into the V?

would it work to make a couple very short pins out of brass? Not use the original ones. just something the screws could push against into the V?

Maybe, but it’s easier for me to just weld on a coupke nubs, machine them down, drill and tap and use standard dimension stuff.

The pins would be very short if I don’t add material and I would worry about them being unsupported in thier bores. Possibly leading to a failure of the tool post mount during heavy use...not something I wish to experience...again.

Lol!

Well, it's done and making chips:

fr_4553_size880.jpg

Could it be "prettier"? Yup. Is it functional? Yup. Made some cuts and did some knurling, it's rock solid.

I did take a few moments and blend the welds into the body with the grinder as at least lip service towards the aesthetics.

Later down the road I may blend/smooth the welds a little better and apply some bluing compound to the whole thing.

But it's rock solid functional and that's good enough for now.

Looking good. It looks strong. Take your time with that compound fix. It might be better to braze it.

Since the block is round you could turn those screws to the back and out of sight.

Used it to part off yesterday. Much better than the compound rest! No chatter, much more forgiving to part off with. This will definitely now be my “go to” for parting operations on my Atlas!

:)

Back