Axial indicator

I just indicate the 2 sides and front that I can easily see , and most of the time the back falls right in unless I'm indicating an egg shaped hole . :grin:

Will, it's like reading glasses, if you have enough of them, you may not find the one your looking for, but you'll find one you put down....

Shars sells a few coaxial indicators. I purchased one about 4 years ago that's supposed to be accurate to within .0002". I've never needed to indicate anything that close, but it's worked well the times I've used it. They're around $100.00 now which is more than they cost when I bought mine.

Will . My new smart phone hasn't been touched yet . Our IT guy has been working from home since this pandemic started . He has to load some stuff into it to get me started off .

I saw the bill my company was sent though . $58 for a month , and I had .13 cents worth of usage ! :grin: BTW , what was that girls name I'm suppose to ask questions on it ? :rolleyes:

Edit . She is Seri .

Damn!! $58/month, I wish my phone bill was only $58, my phone bill is closer to a Blake indicator/month

I’ve only used my coaxial indicator to quickly and easily center the spindle on holes, round pieces and center punch marks where you just keep centering until the needle sits still. Mine is a relatively cheap model from LMS (similar, maybe the same as Shars'), but it has served my purposes well. I’ve never paid attention to the scale, just watched the needle. What am I missing by not reading the scale?

Tom

Nothing, unless you want it to be non-concentric.
I guess I'm dense this morning (some would say the time of day is irrelevant), but please explain why and how I would do that, as opposed to centering the piece and then offsetting it using X and Y handwheel scales or a DRO.

Tom

Last edited:
Forget the mirror or smartphone. Get a "Vertical" DTI. The dial is horizontal when mounted in the spindle. So you can see the needle through the full spindle rotation.

Will . My new smart phone hasn't been touched yet . Our IT guy has been working from home since this pandemic started . He has to load some stuff into it to get me started off .

I saw the bill my company was sent though . $58 for a month , and I had .13 cents worth of usage ! :grin: BTW , what was that girls name I'm suppose to ask questions on it ? :rolleyes:

Edit . She is Seri .

Seri can be customized both for gender and accent. I set mine to British guy.

I have a Shars that was around $65 and a Blake I bought off eBay for around $100. I checked them both out by boring a hole with my boring head, then popped the co-ax's in place without moving the table. Should be dead on center. Blake was spot on, no needle movement at all. Shars was bouncing around 10 grads on the scale. Never heard anyone complain about a Blake; import, not so much.

A DTI on an Indicol works great too and doesn't take up nearly the head room of a co-ax. I'm probably a little quicker finding center with a co-ax over a DTI sweep, but still usually go the DTI route so I don't have to crank on the mill table.

Bruce

Back