B&S 120” straight edge.

I think the point is you would need it inspected to know.

John

And if it doesn’t have a recent sticker from somebody on it somewhere, it’s a complete unknown and suspect. There was a episode on Oxtools where they came in and did his plates. That was very instructive. There was also an episode on Robin Rinzetti’s where he redid his huge old Starrett pink plate complete with dual toolbox support and I never saw where he finished it. I wonder if it was because of the flack he got from the silly peanut gallery? I don’t see where any mere mortals could dispute anything Mr. Rinzetti does.

I have a 6' Starrett that I've never used. I'm thinking of cutting it up into 2' pieces

I have a 6' Starrett that I've never used. I'm thinking of cutting it up into 2' pieces
i would not do that that would be like cutting a 1000 dollar rule into pieces it would make sense now but not in the future.

It’s yours of course and you can do as you please but would that be possible without making a mess? Is the Starrett a camelback? I also wonder if it would throw the surface out of whack? I have an old 36” B&S camelback and it’s kinda big but useful. Can only imagine what a 6’ is good for.

No its not a camel back, It's basically hardened ground flat bar made by Starrett. Its .278 thick x 72" long x 4" wide, with one beveled edge. Too heavy to wield around in my shop. I got if from work years ago. We needed it to rough align shafts on a couple of 2000 HP vent fans.

No its not a camel back, It's basically hardened ground flat bar made by Starrett. Its .278 thick x 72" long x 4" wide, with one beveled edge. Too heavy to wield around in my shop. I got if from work years ago. We needed it to rough align shafts on a couple of 2000 HP vent fans.
oh okay that makes it not as bad to cut up and those are some powerful motors!

Well there ya go, I’d have cut that into useful pieces soon as I got it home! i have a SnapOn that’s 2”w 18”L that I used to check heads with that is mighty useful. You can never have too many straight edges, but if they are too long they become to unwieldly.

I should clarify my original post. I said I never used it. That's not really correct. I have used the the straight edge as a guide cutting 4x8 sheets of plywood with a circular saw. But never for checking flatness.
Maybe I'll keep it at full length till need a shorter one .

Back