B&S 120” straight edge.

you can use a smaller straight edge or a surface plate to scrape it in or use lasers and new stuff like that.
No, you can’t. If you read up on it you need very close to the length of the straight edge to do it right, both milling and surface plate. Go piecing it together and it doesn’t work, especially on something that long. It sounds like you’ve made up your mind before you even posted here. I wish you luck.

No, you can’t. If you read up on it you need very close to the length of the straight edge to do it right, both milling and surface plate. Go piecing it together and it doesn’t work, especially on something that long. It sounds like you’ve made up your mind before you even posted here. I wish you luck.
i did not realize that about scraping stuff in

Reading the Connolly book is an eye opener because it’s mostly about rookie mistakes and how they waste time. And it felt like he was talking directly to me because I was figuring this is old school, no problem right? And he repeats over and over ad nauseum how not having the right tools you can sometimes make something that will get you around it. But that’s dependent on certain things that are based off of and can be trusted. Like a recently certified surface plate of a relevant size (within inches of your max dimension)and a straight edge of known calibration and relevant size within inches.

All of us here love Old Iron and it’s sad to hear somebody has done something stupid and let a once useful piece of precision tooling go to pot. But sometimes you just have to acknowledge it and move on. This would be one of those times for me. I see this stuff all the time and it truly pains me, but I’ve only got so much time and energy and I’ve learned to pick my windmills I will tilt against.

Last edited:
Surface plates are like Old Iron, the bigger they are the less per lb. There has been a couple of huge plates locally that were like $2-300 and the first thing I thought was how in the world would I move that! Then where would I put it?

Surface plates are like Old Iron, the bigger they are the less per lb. There has been a couple of huge plates locally that were like $2-300 and the first thing I thought was how in the world would I move that! Then where would I put it?
The place selling the big straight edge has a huge cast iron surface plate about 3 by 3 feet really big I will have to take a video of everything there lots of old iron and a huge 3 foot by 8 foot cast iron table with a lip for coolant to and man that place is cool

Back