Baileigh PL-1236E-DRO-1.0 M

Blackjackjacques

Registered
Registered
Considering the Bailegh 1236 lathe as offered by Penn Tool

Comparing to PM 1236 , they appear to be the exact same machine with just different labels - from what I can tell.

I have other Baleigh pieces that we have been happy with and they seem to be a solid company. I see the PM base price appears to be less cost, but I have not done the deep dive yet to contrast overall cost when considering what is furnished with the Baileigh versus the added one options with the PM, etc. I assume both these machine are made in Taiwan. Can anyone opine on the background for these machines and/or differences? Thanks in advance

The PM-1236 is made in China, the 1236T is the one made in Taiwan. I have the 1236T and am very happy with it.

I don’t have any Baileigh equipment, so don’t know how they compare to the other private labeled brands, but PM has great support and I wouldn’t consider paying any more than what they charge for the same lathe.

Another place to look is Eisen. They import from the same factory as PM and might have something in stock instead of having to wait for it.

edit: it looks like Eisen only has Taiwanese lathes, so they would not be good for your search.

Last edited:
The PM-1236 is made in China, the 1236T is the one made in Taiwan. I have the 1236T and am very happy with it.

I don’t have any Baileigh equipment, so don’t know how they compare to the other private labeled brands, but PM has great support and I wouldn’t consider paying any more than what they charge for the same lathe.

Another place to look is Eisen. They import from the same factory as PM and might have something in stock instead of having to wait for it.

edit: it looks like Eisen only has Taiwanese lathes, so they would not be good for your search.
Thank you - I don't know how much of the criticisms I have heard regarding China v. Taiwan machine tools are accurat, but my previous preference has been for Taiwanese made items - so I would not rule out the Eisen. I do have an actual Taiwan Rong Fu 45 milling machine, and had the opportunity to contrast that with the China made Grizzly of same model, and there are substantive quality differences with the more favorable performance going to the Taiwanese made unit. It is interesting that PM offers both the China-made and Taiwan-made units - another factor to consider here.

PM is a good company and participates here on HM. They care about their customers, which is important since these
import machines sometimes have issues right out of the box.

I have a Baliegh bench top metal saw that I purchased used, and it is my go to for most of my cutting. That being said there are other brands of the same unit for half the price, and of similar quality. In general I would say their stuff is over priced. Mike

Considering the Bailegh 1236 lathe as offered by Penn Tool

Comparing to PM 1236 , they appear to be the exact same machine with just different labels - from what I can tell.

I have other Baleigh pieces that we have been happy with and they seem to be a solid company. I see the PM base price appears to be less cost, but I have not done the deep dive yet to contrast overall cost when considering what is furnished with the Baileigh versus the added one options with the PM, etc. I assume both these machine are made in Taiwan. Can anyone opine on the background for these machines and/or differences? Thanks in advance
Penn Tool's prices are consistently higher for the same machine from lots of other sellers.

I would shop around. That machine you are looking at is the same machine as the PM and the Grizzly. There may be slight differences. But I wouldn't pay more for the Bailegh machine.

Thank you - I don't know how much of the criticisms I have heard regarding China v. Taiwan machine tools are accurat, but my previous preference has been for Taiwanese made items - so I would not rule out the Eisen. I do have an actual Taiwan Rong Fu 45 milling machine, and had the opportunity to contrast that with the China made Grizzly of same model, and there are substantive quality differences with the more favorable performance going to the Taiwanese made unit. It is interesting that PM offers both the China-made and Taiwan-made units - another factor to consider here.
In general, the Taiwanese machines are better quality with fewer problems that need to be resolved out of the box. They are not perfect, but everything seems to work a bit better on my Taiwanese equipment than the stuff that comes out of China, so I am willing to cry once and open up my wallet on things I want to last a long time.

I haven’t personally used an Eisen machine, but several members here have recently purchased from them and are very happy with the machines and the service they got. At some point, I would like to replace my mill with something bigger and Eisen and PM will be at the top of my list if I decide to buy new.

At the price of the Bailegh 1236, there are much better made lathes at similar cost. You are in the price range where there are a number of Taiwanese lathes that are better built and have more flexibility/quality. I would recommend the PM-1340GT (Taiwanese made) in 3 phase with a basic VFD install, PM-1440-2SM-V (Chinese mainland lathe, factory VFD model), or something like the single phase Eisen 1440E (Taiwanese made, you also may have some negotiating room on the price going directly through them). I also feel you would get better post sales support with PM/QMT and Eisen. DRO's that come with these lathes tend to be a ($200-300) models, the packaged chucks on the Chinese mainland lathes tend to be poorly made, often get replaced after you get some experience using the lathe.

One thing I would like to add, the 3 jaw chuck that came with my 1236T is meh, it doesn't have any country markings so I assume China, but the 4 jaw chuck I bought from PM is made in Taiwan and very good. Many of the Chinese lathes come with both chucks, but they may not be worth much, so buying separately might be the best long term option.

Back