Baileigh PL-1236E-DRO-1.0 M

I have that Eisen 12x36 which I think is the same unit as the PM 12x36t without the extra warranty. I expect that 12x36 you are looking at is the same as the PM 12x36. If cost was the same I'd go with PM, they are here and from what I have seen from the last several years I have been on this site they seem to support their customers very well. When it come down to it you are buying these from an importer, the value of one over the other is the service after you buy it.

Everyone has one this is just mine,

Phil

Other resellers can sponsor this forum if they want, IFRC Rong Fu was a forum sponsor a while back.

I think it's a fair bet that members here will recommend PM not only for their products, but more importantly their customer service. I'm not a customer but have seen the owner take responsibility for issues with their products many times publicly here. that speaks volumes to me.

After the sale service is key to any technical product IMHO. PM seems to have a very good handle on that from what I see here. If I wanted to purchase a new machine they would be very high on my list.

John

The only piece of Baileigh equipment I have is a 350mm cold saw. I bought it used when it was about 10 years old. It spent the first 10 years in an industrial setting cutting steel tubing for storage racks at a place called Steel King in Stevens point Wisconsin. It had a hard life. It was run hard and put away wet. It got minimal maintenance at best and was worked 40+ hours a week. It was worked far harder than I would consider reasonable. It was eventually replaced by a larger more automated saw to keep up with the production demand.

That being said I was able to bring it back to life at minimal cost. It did need a few new parts and a lot of TLC to get it back in top shape. It's a well-built machine that can take punishment day in and day out.

Looking at the lathes you're considering I see both have what I would call a relatively low top end speed. They are both only capable of 1,400 rpm. I don't know what you intend to use the machine for, but I find I use my Sheldon lathe above that speed on a somewhat regular basis. The Sheldon is capable of a top speed of 2,000 rpm, and a minimum speed of 35 rpm.

I would also find the bed length a bit restrictive. The bed length of the Sheldon is 56" and the Seneca Falls lathe is 60". I regularly use both to their maximum capacity.

Here are some before and after pictures of the Baileigh cold saw, and the lathes.

Attachments

• IMG_1278.JPG
    IMG_1278.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1280.JPG
    IMG_1280.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1414.jpg
    IMG_1414.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1415.jpg
    IMG_1415.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC00014.JPG
    DSC00014.JPG
    288.1 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC00018.JPG
    DSC00018.JPG
    481.4 KB · Views: 13
At the price of the Bailegh 1236, there are much better made lathes at similar cost. You are in the price range where there are a number of Taiwanese lathes that are better built and have more flexibility/quality. I would recommend the PM-1340GT (Taiwanese made) in 3 phase with a basic VFD install, PM-1440-2SM-V (Chinese mainland lathe, factory VFD model), or something like the single phase Eisen 1440E (Taiwanese made, you also may have some negotiating room on the price going directly through them). I also feel you would get better post sales support with PM/QMT and Eisen. DRO's that come with these lathes tend to be a ($200-300) models, the packaged chucks on the Chinese mainland lathes tend to be poorly made, often get replaced after you get some experience using the lathe.
Excellent data - thanks - I will check them out and report back.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond - and all with excellent valuable data and information. I will check out and report back. Clearly, I came to the right spot to ask! Kind regards to everyone!

The only piece of Baileigh equipment I have is a 350mm cold saw. I bought it used when it was about 10 years old. It spent the first 10 years in an industrial setting cutting steel tubing for storage racks at a place called Steel King in Stevens point Wisconsin. It had a hard life. It was run hard and put away wet. It got minimal maintenance at best and was worked 40+ hours a week. It was worked far harder than I would consider reasonable. It was eventually replaced by a larger more automated saw to keep up with the production demand.

That being said I was able to bring it back to life at minimal cost. It did need a few new parts and a lot of TLC to get it back in top shape. It's a well-built machine that can take punishment day in and day out.

Looking at the lathes you're considering I see both have what I would call a relatively low top end speed. They are both only capable of 1,400 rpm. I don't know what you intend to use the machine for, but I find I use my Sheldon lathe above that speed on a somewhat regular basis. The Sheldon is capable of a top speed of 2,000 rpm, and a minimum speed of 35 rpm.

I would also find the bed length a bit restrictive. The bed length of the Sheldon is 56" and the Seneca Falls lathe is 60". I regularly use both to their maximum capacity.

Here are some before and after pictures of the Baileigh cold saw, and the lathes.

Thanks - nice workshop and tools! My application is hobbyist and perhaps prototype small items - well within the bed length of the Baileigh item. I am a beginner and wanted an entry level lathe, but not so entry that I would later face selling it for something new - in the event I get better at it. Your work on the machine gives me goose pimples and is impressive! Thanks

In general, the Taiwanese machines are better quality with fewer problems that need to be resolved out of the box. They are not perfect, but everything seems to work a bit better on my Taiwanese equipment than the stuff that comes out of China, so I am willing to cry once and open up my wallet on things I want to last a long time.

I haven’t personally used an Eisen machine, but several members here have recently purchased from them and are very happy with the machines and the service they got. At some point, I would like to replace my mill with something bigger and Eisen and PM will be at the top of my list if I decide to buy new.

Like the "cry once" approach. I have also been pretty happy with my Taiwan item - my Rong Fu 45 milling machine.

In general, the Taiwanese machines are better quality with fewer problems that need to be resolved out of the box. They are not perfect, but everything seems to work a bit better on my Taiwanese equipment than the stuff that comes out of China, so I am willing to cry once and open up my wallet on things I want to last a long time.

I haven’t personally used an Eisen machine, but several members here have recently purchased from them and are very happy with the machines and the service they got. At some point, I would like to replace my mill with something bigger and Eisen and PM will be at the top of my list if I decide to buy new.
Like the "cry once" approach. I have also been pretty happy with my Taiwan item - my Rong Fu 45 milling machine.

Ok gang, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a PM-1340GT-1PH. The selection is based on an amalgamation of all your comments - and opted for the 13-40 in lieu of the 12-36 per a couple of suggestions, and a Taiwan machine to avoid later tears as another suggested. Frankly, the cost of a full dressed 1340 is not that much more than the loaded 1236T, but moreover, I opted for the more precise 3 & 4 jaw chucks offered separately with the 1340T instead of getting saddled with a just "meh" chuck stand with the 1236T. Scheduled to arrive late May early June. Thanks for all your help. I will send some photos once it arrives and is unpacked/setup. Best, Jim

Back