Bandsaw motor rebuild help please

Chris H

Registered
Registered
I have an old (1998) 4x6 Taiwan made metal bandsaw, but with a non functional motor. Are there any how-to's on rebuilding the motor? I know if a winding is shot, it's beyond what I can do, but I'd hate to throw away a good bit (and pay for another one!) if there are a few simpler things to check/try first.

The capacitors are the easiest fix. Have you checked them?

Wellll.... I don't know where to find them! :mechanic: I know they should be on a "lump" on the side of the motor, but mine doesn't have that. I've also taken off the end caps and didn't see anything that looks like them. I do know what capacitors are, and I assume this motor has them (how the heck else does it start?). It's why I'm looking for a how-to somewhere. I can post a bunch of pictures if someone is willing to take a look at them, though!

Post up pictures. The manufacturer ID plate will help tons. If the capacitors aren't a bulge on the outside they will be under the end cap closest to where the power cord goes in. It could also be a stuck centrifugal switch which will be under the same end cap. Capacitors can be round or square.

the motor may not have a capacitor at all.
the motor may have separate run and start circuits.
there may be a centrifugal switch that operates the start circuit.

motor bearings and motor bushings often go bad, they can cause a motor not to start.

if you find a capacitor, you really don't want to mess with it until it has been discharged

the motor may not have a capacitor at all.
the motor may have separate run and start circuits.
there may be a centrifugal switch that operates the start circuit.

motor bearings and motor bushings often go bad, they can cause a motor not to start.

if you find a capacitor, you really don't want to mess with it until it has been discharged

I think I know this, but ... how would you start a centrifugal switch on a bandsaw motor? THere's no obvious handle, so ... just spin the pulley?

The centrifugal switch is actually closed (contacts touching) when the motor is stopped or turning below a set speed. This energizes the start winding when you turn on the motor. As it speeds up, the switch will open (stop conducting), leaving just the main winding doing all the work. The contacts can get pitted with age, or dust can get into the contacts, making them ineffective. You should find the centrifugal switch inside the end cap farthest from the output shaft.

Do you hear any hum when you turn on the power switch? If not, it may be that the motor is fine, but something has become disconnected somewhere between the wall and the motor. Checking continuity with an ohmmeter can tell you a lot. Unplug the cord before doing these tests.

It may also be that the start winding failed and someone left the power on until the main winding also burned out. Can you smell any burnt smell from the motor? If the factory-installed smoke has all leaked out, it isn't going to run.

Just to set the record straight, rebuilding a fractional horsepower motor can be done but is usually considered "beyond economical repair" for anything less than about 10 horsepower. With that said, there are a number of things the "non-electrical" troubleshooter can do to check and/or correct problems that can return a fractional horsepower motor to service. Oh, and by the way, 1998 is not old. Old would be 1970 or more. I came along in 1950, that's old.

First things first: The smell of a burned motor, even if it burned 5 years ago, is unique to motors, coils, things of that nature. If you have ever smelled one, the smell is unmistakable and you would never forget it. If it doesn't smell burnt, it's time to troubleshoot for other problems.

Assuming a metal cutting band-saw, it probably had OEM a capacitor motor. A small wood cutting band-saw may well have a split phase motor. I put one on a table saw a while back. It works well enough, but most of the stuff I do is light. The point being that it may not be the original motor. It should be a four pole motor, just under 1800 RPM, 1745 or so.

As advised above, look to the capacitor first. It's cheap and easy to fix. The nameplate should have the size printed on it, but sadly this isn't done. When you find the right size, scratch it on the surface somewhere. You will lose the note eventually, mark it on the motor.

Next, also mentioned above, look at the centrifugal switch. This is a bear to get back together right, and varies from motor to motor. Usually, it will be on the inside of the electrical end of the motor. Opposite the drive end. Not always, but usually. Pull the end bell of the motor, carefully because parts of the switch may be mounted to the end bell.

In my experience (50+yrs) the best contact dresser is currency paper, a dollar bill. The newer the better. If you must file the contacts, use a fine or very fine cut, no sharp edges, and finish with currency paper. If they were silver plated, avoid filing them, period, unless absolutely necessary.

Also check the switch for operating at speed, 1/3 to 1/2 base speed. It should open freely and close when stopping. Just spinning the rotor by hand is not enough, but it does need to operate freely while checking.

And, of course, check the internal wiring for crimps, loose insulation, broken wires, broken insulation, and such. Carefully reinstall the end bell, watching for wires interfering with the switch mechanism. Reinstalling the end bell may require some fiddling. Tighten all the bolts and spin the motor by hand. Adjust tighter or looser till the motor spins the "free"est. Using a rubber hammer to "set" everything will help immensly. A chunk of 2X4 will do in a pinch, but nothing harder.

Spool the motor up, and on power off listen for the centrifugal switch closing. It will be a slight click as the rotor slows. If it doesn't come up to speed right off, you didn't get the wires clear of the switch. Take it apart and do so. Again and again, until it's right.

Not very likely, but there is a possibility someone mounted a series universal or straight D-C motor. Again, not very likely, but a consideration. Look for the brush holders along the outside of the motor. Anything smaller than a couple of HP will have visible brush holders. Beyond making sure the brushes make up good on the commutator, you're on your own with those. I will not, under any circumstances, attempt to troubleshoot one remotely.

Bill Hudson​

I'd junk the motor if it isn't an easy fix like a capacitor or loose wire. I'm using
a motor out of an old clothes dryer that I scrapped out and it has been working
great for years. There's little starting load on a band saw so any 1/3 horse motor
would be fine. The reason for that is that a band saw has a considerable gear reduction
so little starting load. Something with 1725 RPM would be likely a good choice. Mounting
the motor would be the only concern.

Was this motor working at one time or has it never worked?
If the latter, it could be the wrong type of motor for the saw

Back