Bandsaw problem

I threw tension out there, seems like he has covered all bases....it is a tough one. If you look at my picture with the magnet/steel scale, if you remove the magnet and scale and the put the machinist square up against blade and lift lower the blade and see if it stays a equal distance from square to make sure it is indeed pivoting perpendicular (not coming down and out) Again, just trying to throw out whatever I can think of here...
i can't believe i never thought of that, yeah good idea. in the AM im going to a carpenters square in the vice and see is the blade follows it. geez all day never thought of that. im getting old.

threw tension out there, seems like he has covered all bases....it is a tough one. If you look at my picture with the magnet/steel scale, if you remove the magnet and scale and the put the machinist square up against blade and lift lower the blade and see if it stays a equal distance from square to make sure it is indeed pivoting perpendicular (not coming down and out) Again, just trying to throw out whatever I can think of here...

That is exactly the problem I had with my Jet saw. Ended up re machining the base where the vice parts ride, the pivot pin was not parallel with that surface. After that resetting the blade square was no issue.

all ive been doing for tension is tightening the hand wheel by hand hard as i can. is there a rule of thumb? like amount of deflection one x number of inches? like on a fan belt.
so you never want to bottom out the spring tension on the adjustment. If you are maxed out, that's no good either, it must float a little to take care of slight deviation in wheels, band ...

My woodworking band saw needs a new spring right now, I have worn it out, and it's causing similar issues, when I never had before. I'm not certain it's your problem, but you want tension, but not max tension.

I can't imaging re machining the base. how would you even hold it to get the pin straight. lets hope thats not my problem lol.

If machining the pin hole isn't possible maybe adding a different vise that has adjusting screws on the base allowing you to get it perpendicular to the blade.

Last edited:
Unfortunately that problem is not easy to fix. It seems the factories that churn these things out don't pay enough attention to this critical parameter.
I'm guessing your pivot is built in as part of the table. If so then bushing and redrilling the pivot point is the only solution, if you can't return the saw
You might also consider cutting off the pivot "ears" and fabricating an entirely new removable pivot piece that would bolt to the table and could be shimmed or machined to give a perfect 90 degrees angle
-Mark

well finally narrowing it down. I lifted the arm and put a carpenters square against the blade then lowered the arm , sure enough the blade moved out like 1/4 inch. so defiantly not tracking true. im guessing there is no way simply adjust that ?
Wow! that is crazy. I notice mine has a slight amount of play in it, maybe the hole is a thou over sized. That bothers me, I couldn't imagine this. I think like others say, you'll have to adjust your setup to compensate. That would tear at my soul. I personally would just accept it's for rough cuts that require clean up. Easier said than done. Curious what others say....

Back