Bar whip in a lathe

Anyone seen the high school kid trying to hold a lathe from spinning?
It's a wonder he wasn't killed.

Anyone seen the high school kid trying to hold a lathe from spinning?
It's a wonder he wasn't killed.
I recall seeing that. Truly terrifying!

Crikey. There are lessons in what not to do right there, aren't there.

The best explanation I've ever seen of the kind of attitude that leads to that sort of unsafe working right here, three minutes in:

"Ain't nothin' happened before..."

Joe Pie also has a great video on why you shouldn't drill "freehand" on a drill press and advocates a simple hook shaped stop that would have prevented that radial arm incident entirely.

Crikey. There are lessons in what not to do right there, aren't there.

The best explanation I've ever seen of the kind of attitude that leads to that sort of unsafe working right here, three minutes in:

"Ain't nothin' happened before..."

Joe Pie also has a great video on why you shouldn't drill "freehand" on a drill press and advocates a simple hook shaped stop that would have prevented that radial arm incident entirely.
Richard Feynman is the closest thing I have to a hero.

Man that guy on the Radial drill was smashed by that bar he was drilling.
Anyone that uses their hands to hold anything while drilling on a radial drill is asking for trouble, they are usually gear driven and don't stop.
Also they are usually gear driven on feeds too. they are big nasty big mean drills, opposed to your standard little belt driven drill press, Which you can stop and make the belt slip pretty easily.
I had a drill bit shear longtitudinaly, and bury itself in my forearm while on a Radial arm drill when I was an apprentice.
I was using a driven feed, on the radial drill, drilling some tractor equipment.
Always happens so quick.

In the original video...at about 14 seconds in...the camera zooms in. Was the that edited?

I am thinking that whoever it was that shot the vid did so because they knew what was coming when they saw the setup with that long bar sticking out. You can hear 2 people talking about it before it happens.

I am thinking that whoever it was that shot the vid did so because they knew what was coming when they saw the setup with that long bar sticking out. You can hear 2 people talking about it before it happens.
Typically these YouTube videos are from the post mortem/safety investigation. Sort of like a LiveLeak or WikiLeak type scenario. The narrator is likely a safety officer or manager that, while viewing the surveillance video in the factory, was filming either on their desktop or more likely with their phones and then posted the recording on YT.

Invariably, these first looks at the accident after they have occurred come with the incredulous commentary and dialogue in the background. I know this because I'm the guy that gets to do that when there is a theft, security risk or trespassers on the property and have to go to Instant Replay to get the evidence.

Ya, the safety officer, He was the guy that removed all the safeties and then crushed his hand in between the dies of an injection molding machine.......

Back