Barnes sliding gap bed lathe 14-24 about 1917

Hi guys update:) the new motor arrived but the wrong one and now a new one is on its way a 2hp 4pole 1400 rpm I can’t Waite the supplier sent a 2 pole 3hp motor by mistake, I would have kept the bigger motor but it would have been spinning too fast for the old girl , when the motor gets here and gets installed I can move her into final position and level and trim her Craig

Hi Craig,

First, Welcome to the group!

I have never seen a Barnes with such a big swing!
My Barnes 9" lathe is currently on loan to my bothers collection.
It was given to me by a former colleague, supervisor, mentor and friend(Thanks John!) (He got two when his friend Archie downsized.)

It's amazing that 1913 USA made lathe has a metric threading chart.

Mine had two lead screws and the two half-nuts locked to one or the other depending on carriage direction lever.

It was a great machine; change gears and all!

I upgraded when I found a great price on a 9" Southbend with a quick-change gear box.

Thanks for all the pictures of your lathe!
-brino

Hi Craig,

First, Welcome to the group!

I have never seen a Barnes with such a big swing!
My Barnes 9" lathe is currently on loan to my bothers collection.
It was given to me by a former colleague, supervisor, mentor and friend(Thanks John!) (He got two when his friend Archie downsized.)

It's amazing that 1913 USA made lathe has a metric threading chart.

Mine had two lead screws and the two half-nuts locked to one or the other depending on carriage direction lever.

It was a great machine; change gears and all!

I upgraded when I found a great price on a 9" Southbend with a quick-change gear box.

Thanks for all the pictures of your lathe!
-brino
Hi Brino yes the metric gearbox brass plaque has me more then a little confused, I thought it might be an add on but the other pictures of this lathe that I have been able to find have the same gearbox but I haven’t seen the plaque on them, being metric I bet it didn’t get much use in the thread cutting department, the other plaques are for imperial thread turning but all the drive goes through the gearbox and there doesn’t appear to be a 1:1 ratio in there so that’s the problem whatever I set the end gears to suite a particular tpi the gear box changes it, here is another same lathe it’s gearbox top cover removed Craig

Attachments

• ABF5C70A-3826-414B-84E6-D62EE8CD2B24.jpeg
    ABF5C70A-3826-414B-84E6-D62EE8CD2B24.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 29
That’s a stout old lathe. Can’t wait till I see some pics of you making chips.

Wow, she looks like a completely different machine. Love the old machines, more like art work. One can sure understand how so many tradesmen back in the days were walking around with missing digits.

Hi guys did the video work, sorry about poor photography, I make sure no one in in the shed with me when I fire her up too many bities those gears don’t look too forgiving Craig

Craig, the video worked fine for me.

That is one beautiful old lathe!

One request; be sure to remove that bracelet before doing any real turning.

(I am not nagging, I just want to be sure that you're here and healthy and posting for a good long time!)

-brino

Last edited:
Hi Bruno I sure will, Im a short sleeve no jewellery safety glasses turner, I learnt all that when doing my apprenticeship We had about 500 fitter machinist apprentices in the one building and few accidents but plenty of flying chuck keys. Why I asked about the video is all my gear is Apple who don’t support flash player so I can upload the video then can’t see it be and I’m going to fabricate some guards to cover the end gears be safe guys Craig

Hi Bruno I sure will, Im a short sleeve no jewellery safety glasses turner, I learnt all that when doing my apprenticeship We had about 500 fitter machinist apprentices in the one building and few accidents but plenty of flying chuck keys. Why I asked about the video is all my gear is Apple who don’t support flash player so I can upload the video then can’t see it be and I’m going to fabricate some guards to cover the end gears be safe guys Craig
Sorry that was Brino dam auto correct

Back