Bausch and Lomb Microscope Purchase

Brain Coral

Active User
Registered
Hello all,

I was in town yesterday, waiting for my cell phone to be repaired, and decided to go into a small antique store to have a look around. This store is tiny and packed to the gills, so it's difficult to see the forest for the trees, so to speak; I only saw this microscope when I was about to leave.

Here's a few pics.... sorry for the lack of focus on some...

IMGP0728600x800_zps0e183de2.jpg

IMGP0731600x800_zpseacd4cd6.jpg

IMGP0732600x800_zpsf3abbb1a.jpg

IMGP0734600x800_zpse5221079.jpg

IMGP0735600x800_zps795ca688.jpg

It was used in the local dairy industry, apparently to determine if a cow was pregnant or not, and by looking up the serial number, it dates to 1915. It's really in outstanding original condition and hasn't been polished. That's the original laquered finish.

I didn't get a screaming deal on it, but I did get it for half of what he had on the sticker. I was always interested in biology as a kid and had a microscope before I was eleven years old. Now I have three, one will be used as a shop microscope and I am working on building a stand for it.

Anyway.... I thought that I would share... :)

I am waiting for the nor'easter storm to hit. I've been up since 7:00 a.m. and it was completely still at that time. Now, as I look out my window, the wind has begun to pick up and the tops of the trees are beginning to sway. It's exciting for me and the fact that I have a generator panel, generator and lots of fuel and food, I am looking forward to seeing the fury of this storm. They are forecasting wind gusts of over 60-70 mph and lots of snow.

Brian

Brian ,

Nice find ! Its seems to have been well cared for over the years and the original box ,nice.

I have been looking for a better scope for my shop as some of the parts I build require
certain finishes.

William

Hello William.... thanks... :)

Yeah, I'm quite happy with the microscope. It may not get a whole lot of use, but I do dabble in microscopy.

I bought a Unitron ZSB stereoscope for the shop, which didn't come with a stand, so I've been playing around with making one.

Here's a few pics...

IMGP0741800x600_zps24007759.jpg

IMGP0736800x600_zps20fecec7.jpg

IMGP0740800x600_zps96ace9b0.jpg

IMGP0737600x800_zpseea4a1d5.jpg

I still have a bit of work to do on it, but I will be able to use it at the lathe, as well as on a solid base.

Brian

Very nice ! That scope and the mount you have made is what I have in mind of doing.
Or should I say need to do !

William

Score a nice zeiss a couple years ago from the local university for free. Great scope..watching blood cells stack is just feekin weird

MICROSCOPE2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A Zeis microscope for FREE... ??? !!! You dog.... :greenwithenvy:

There should be a law against getting stuff for free.... just because it never happens to me... :)

Brian

Well, this nor'easter storm has lived up to it's forecast.... I thought that it was bad out before, but now the wind is shrieking and visibility is less than 50 feet. That's 50 feet while standing still... less in even bigger gusts....

Power hasn't gone out yet, but I suspect that it will. I live in the coutry and the infrastructure is old. It usually goes out in a storm like this.

Brian

Brian when I was younger I lived in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. There were times when we had big time snow. I hope that you get through this ok, and also that spring will finally arrive.

All the best.
David

Hello David,

I find the weather exhillarating and am not worried in the least. As bad as this storm is, it pales in comparison to the blizzard of 1992. 162 cm. ( 5' 4" ) of snow fell in 3 days with awesome winds... :panic:

Here's a link...

http://past.theweathernetwork.com/n...stormfile=look_back_at_a_wicked_winter_300112

My brother and his pal went snowshoeing after the storm was over. They snowshoed down the street above the roofs of cars and then went up a 2 1/2 storey snowdrift to the roof of the mall and then went down another drift at the other end. People were trapped in their houses and had to escape from second storey windows.... and they didn't have to jump.... legs over the sill and there you are...

I hope that this link doesn't end up as long as it looks.... if it does, I apologise for having to scroll...

Brian

Back