Bd920n Reversing Issue

boostin53

Registered
Registered
I recently acquired a used Bd-920N that the original owner replaced the motor on. When I purchased the lathe, he told me the reverse function does not work and he didn't know why. While I haven't began investigating, I'm curious to know what I'm getting into.

I'm not very good with wiring things. I'm worried that I would have to buy a new switch as a new one is almost $300 from Jet. Is it possible that he just didn't wire everything correctly? If the switch is bad, is there a cheaper route to go instead of dropping that much money for a new one? I don't have pictures of the wiring on the switch or the diagram on the motor at the moment. I could take some tomorrow when I get home from work if it would help. Please keep me from stressing out about this damn switch!!!!

Please post pictures. I'm sure we can do better for you than $300 for a new switch.

Need some info first.
What happens when you put the switch in reverse?
Does the breaker trip?

I had a similar situation a few years ago, I bought a lathe with a new motor that was wired incorrectly.
Worst case scenario you can always ad a remote drum switch for about $50.
Hopefully you can switch a few things around and get it going for free.
Many replacement motors have jumpers that must be set to your configuration.
Since the same motor may be used for many different types of machines the factory sets them and lets the end user figure it out.

I will get some pictures of the switch wiring and motor wire diagram later today. But when I flip the switch, nothing happens at all. Flip it to forward and away she goes!

If you can post pictures of the motor plate, the motor wiring (so we can see wire colours) and the back of the switch, I'm sure we can figure it out.
I bet it's just wired wrong......
-brino

If you can post pictures of the motor plate, the motor wiring (so we can see wire colours) and the back of the switch, I'm sure we can figure it out.
I bet it's just wired wrong......
-brino
I get off work at 1pm, so I will be posting a few pictures when I get home. I have a feeling it's wired wrong. But I don't know the previous owners electrical capabilities. Probably not too good since he told me he didnt knkw what was wrong with it.

That's the place to start ,the wireing diagram in the motor if it's been replaced with one that's not reversible it will need replacing . Most motors on small lathes you only need to move two wires to change direction. The drum switch makes it easy .

Im looking at the wiring on the motor right now. It shows cw and ccw, so the motors reversable. Comparing the wire colors coming out of the motor to the diagram on the motor throws me off. The diagram on the motor says #2 is yellow and #4 is gray. But the wires coming off the motor to the block are numbered differently, #2 is gray and #4 is yellow. If i switch the two around on the block, will my problem be solved???

Notice the lug/screw on the lower right with three wires. The yellow wire is marked #4 when lifted up, the gray is marked #2. Thats reveresed compared to the plate on the motor. And this is wired for 110/115v.

Edit: I guess switching the wires wouldnt matter since they're on the same post. I jumped to conclusions.

Back