Bd920n Reversing Issue

With single phase the drum switch simply swaps the Hot and Neutral back and forth. Try manually swaping the hot and neutral on the drum switch and turn switch forward. If the motor runs reverse then the motor is wired right then yes the drum switch is incorrectly wired. If nothing happens or the breaker trips then its the motor end we need to look at.

By line cord, do you mean power from the plug? If so, then yes. The ground connects to the chassis, then black and white go to the switch. And only two wires come off the switch to the motor. The wires on the distribution block come out of the motor in that bundle. Two whites, grey, yellow, red and black. this is the block on the motor. This picture also shows one side of the switch. I did not wire this. Its how i got it.

image.jpg

Swapping hot and neutral will not reverse a motor. You must swap the leads of one of the windings.

With single phase the drum switch simply swaps the Hot and Neutral back and forth. Try manually swaping the hot and neutral on the drum switch and turn switch forward. If the motor runs reverse then the motor is wired right then yes the drum switch is incorrectly wired. If nothing happens or the breaker trips then its the motor end we need to look at.

In that case, the motor isnt wired correctly as i thought. I just tried manually switching the wire around and the shaft spun clockwise no matter what i did. With the switch in either forward or reverse. Even tried using different hot and nuetrals at different terminals on the switch. Never got it to spin ccw. I dont understand the diagram on the motor either. :/

Just removed the start cap. cover to confirm the wire color. The wires coming off the cap. are white. So what do i do at the junction box to get this little guy running in reverse?

I could figure it out if I had the motor on my bench but I can't make sense of the diagram on your motor. Perhaps you could post your question to the general help forum where Ulma Doctor will see it. He's wired up a lot more motors than I have.

this is a nice explanation of motors and reversing them
http://woodgears.ca/motors/reversing.html

I couldn't find a schematic for an 8 pole switch, but you should be able to figure it out with an ohmeter.

What I would suggest - work out which wires are the run windings and which are the start windings on the motor (see above link).
Get some 4 core wire (14-4? or 16-4?)
Work out which poles open and close on the switch. Draw a neat diagram and post a picture.
We can then help you wire the switch so that it works properly.

To be honest, looking at the motor box and switch, it looks like the motor is wired like a 3 wire motor - 1 wire to the + of the start and run windings, 1 wire each for the - end of the start and - end of the run windings. If that's the case, nothing you do to the switch will make the motor reverse. That's just a guess though, so instead of taking that for anything, do the above and work it out logically.

I could figure it out if I had the motor on my bench but I can't make sense of the diagram on your motor. Perhaps you could post your question to the general help forum where Ulma Doctor will see it. He's wired up a lot more motors than I have.

Will do in the morning. Have to get some sleep, my work days start very early. Like 1:45am early.
bostin53 i just sent you a message

Responded to the message.

Back