Bearing heater question

I have an old small electric skillet put motor oil in it set it to 250/300 degrees let it cook. then slide it in place

At FAG, we always recommended between 80-100C (176-212F) and never to go over 120C (248), otherwise there is a good possibility of starting to change the material properties, and not for the better. The proper temperature depends on how tight the fit is between the bearing and shaft, a typical k6 fit on a motor shaft should work at 80C, but a tighter n5 or so might need the full 100C. Sealed or shielded bearings should be limited to 80C so that the grease is not affected, and of course you don’t want to use an oil bath with those either.

If you are looking for an induction heater, look for one with a magnetic temperature probe that will automatically shut it off when it reaches temperature, better than standing there waiting and letting it get too hot. Those magnetic probes are really expensive, so you don’t want to be buying it later. You also want one with a demagnetizing cycle, or a way to do that afterwards, since they will be slightly magnetized after heating and will attract metal particles during operation.

There is a really good mounting and dismounting guide on the Schaeffler website that FAG did many years ago, the document number is WL 80100 in case the following link doesn’t work. It has information on installation and removal of all the different types of bearings.

I use a coffee hot plate, that you get at Christmas in coffee or hot cocoa gifts, it does a great job. Raises the temp to about 140f

Those induction heaters are so sweet! I got us one for some crawl-through sized roller bearings. Ran on 480!

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

At FAG, we always recommended between 80-100C (176-212F) and never to go over 120C (248), otherwise there is a good possibility of starting to change the material properties, and not for the better. The proper temperature depends on how tight the fit is between the bearing and shaft, a typical k6 fit on a motor shaft should work at 80C, but a tighter n5 or so might need the full 100C. Sealed or shielded bearings should be limited to 80C so that the grease is not affected, and of course you don’t want to use an oil bath with those either.

If you are looking for an induction heater, look for one with a magnetic temperature probe that will automatically shut it off when it reaches temperature, better than standing there waiting and letting it get too hot. Those magnetic probes are really expensive, so you don’t want to be buying it later. You also want one with a demagnetizing cycle, or a way to do that afterwards, since they will be slightly magnetized after heating and will attract metal particles during operation.

There is a really good mounting and dismounting guide on the Schaeffler website that FAG did many years ago, the document number is WL 80100 in case the following link doesn’t work. It has information on installation and removal of all the different types of bearings.

I hate to say it but my toaster oven is most likely going to be enough to get me by for the foreseeable future. I cannot remotely justify a major purchase.

I hate to say it but my toaster oven is most likely going to be enough to get me by for the foreseeable future. I cannot remotely justify a major purchase.
A good induction heater is going to cost at least $1,500 new for a small one, so most people will use what they have. You need to be careful with a toaster oven that you don’t have the temperature set too high, you want to heat it slowly at a lower temperature so that you do not exceed 120C at any point on the bearing. The same goes for hot plates, low and slow.

Those induction heaters are so sweet! I got us one for some crawl-through sized roller bearings. Ran on 480!

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk
I sold one that would heat up to about a 2,600 lb bearing ring, the factory would make custom ones as well if someone needed bigger than that. It looks like the new ones are now rated up to 3,500 lb.

Back