Beautiful old American Iron and Steel

Had to do some mods on the plate which delayed getting it running. I won't be home until Thursday so no joy until then.... I'm dying to see that lathe throwing real chips.

I am officially the owner of a fully functional Carroll Jamieson engine lathe. I ran it in each gear for a few minutes and made sure the feed gears were happy before I tried a cut. One range is louder and grumpier sounding. I'll pull the cover and look it over again.

I need to figure out the feed per revolution tomorrow. It appears that the feed is half what it says on the plate. I think I might know what that's about but I'll know more tomorrow.

View attachment 20240418_195024.mp4

The old girl will have feed gears again this Saturday. All the oil cups that have to do with oiling the shafts the gears ride on, do those get gear oil as well? I've got two oil cups on the carriage that oil the gears inside. I'm guessing gear oil for those also.

Any oil holes for ways I'm giving way oil.
For the gears I would use chainsaw bar oil.

For the shafts 68.

So far she takes 0.1" a side with 0.008" per revolution at 6" diameter in mild steel okay, but you know she is working. Finish looks good. Faces nicely too.

Chuck adapter in the making.

20240419_160538.jpg

When I cut that radius it reminded me of the large lathes at Pres-rite in Jefferson Ohio, where i worked long ago. On those big bad boys a half inch radius cutter cut so beautifully. A 10mm radius cutter is barely useable on my little lathe.

She is grumpy and noisy but I'm pretty pleased so far.

So far she takes 0.1" a side with 0.008" per revolution at 6" diameter in mild steel okay, but you know she is working. Finish looks good. Faces nicely too.
Depending on the tooling that's respectable.

Back