Beautiful old American Iron and Steel

When I got mine off I made sure to use antiseize when I put it back. Might not need a 12 inch chuck on that size lathe depending on what you are doing. A lot of weight to start and stop.
16" swing. I'd like to be able to use much of it

The chuck is dinged up a lot but there is almost zero evidence it was ever on a lathe.... just lots of dings. The screws are perfect. No wear on the threaded part of the jaws. No evidence of wear on the jaw teeth. I think it sat in a nasty environment and was almost never used.

I filed the big dings and stoned the face flat. It cleaned up very nicely. A slightly ugly brand new Cushman chuck.....weird.

20240321_182325.jpg

20240321_182329.jpg

I'm going to have to make the adapter. The spindle is 2 3/8-8. Unfortunately my 3 jaw doesn't have the external jaws to hole such a large piece. I'll have to make it at my friend's house on my old lathe, leaving the larger diameter part to be finished in place on the CJ lathe.

What material should I make the adapter out of?

I can get 8.5" x 3.5 round stock on Ebay for a reasonable price. All the 7"x 2" stock is close to $100 shipped or over. Raw material is crazy expensive now.

That Cushman chuck may be an ugly duckling but the jaws, jaws threads, screws, and jaw slots might as well be brand new. Even the square sockets in the screws have no wear. I'm considering buying a nicer chuck wrench to protect the sockets. Lol

All I am finding for S and S Machine is Rome OH. Is that the same one? Got contact info? thanks.

Funny thing happened.....

I bought a left handed top notch boring bar to thread on my whimpy little lathe with the chuck in reverse....

I need to make the chuck adapter in the new lathe next week but I didn't want to spin the chuck in reverse to do it, so I had to order a right handed top notch boring bar. Lol!

I have the steel on order. The vfd is arriving next week, but I don't get to wire it up until Saturday.

All this will come together pretty quickly when I get home next weekend.

This machine isn't as big as the lathes I used to work with in the tool and die shop at the forge I used to work in. There I could drop an indicator on a mighty mag base behind the cross slide on the carriage and watch the numbers as you started the cut.

The old C&J lathe doesn't have a big dial and it doesn't have a friction ring to reset to zero. Not the end of the world but definitely not handy.

I had to get creative on where to put an indicator where I can dial in a cut.

Introducing the poor man's dro!

20240324_100425.jpg

I had to immobilize the slide on the taper attachment with a couple clamps. Then I found a bolt just the right height. Lock tite retaining compound removed the wobble in the bolt hole. Wala! Quick and dirty way to get away from the crappy dial.

Mounting a dro on this lathe would be a nightmare. This will work fine for now.

There isn't even a scale on the carriage crank.

Back