Beautiful old American Iron and Steel

There isn't even a scale on the carriage crank.

No, but those T-slots in the carriage are probably good for more than just mounting a lunette.

I'm jealous, I really could use a taper attachment. Probably not going to happen for me unless I build my own. I gotta say, the handwheel adjuster for the taper is really frigging cool. That's the best $300 lathe I've ever seen!

No, but those T-slots in the carriage are probably good for more than just mounting a lunette.

I'm jealous, I really could use a taper attachment. Probably not going to happen for me unless I build my own. I gotta say, the handwheel adjuster for the taper is really frigging cool. That's the best $300 lathe I've ever seen!
I finally figured out how the taper attachment works. I'm pretty excited. It needs cleaned pretty badly so I'll tackle that once I get the thing running next weekend.

It's missing the clamp that grabs the way to immobilize the lower part of the slide. That won't be hard to figure out.

My VFD is arriving tomorrow but I have an emergency work trip to Texas....no joy until Saturday.....

It's alive!!!

....and boy is she noisy! Lol.

This gear has a worn bushing I need to replace before running it very much.

20240329_200045.jpg

Pulling those gears and the bracket that holds them is on the list for tomorrow.

The vfd is simply plugged in to a dryer type plug for now.

The big gear in the picture above spins on its shaft and had plenty of wear so I had to oversize its bore and make a new shaft to fit.

I decided I needed the teeth to be true so I dialed it in on the diameter.

20240331_091231.jpg

Wolhaupter boring and facing. What a great tool.

20240331_093115.jpg

Turned out to run very true once I mated it with another gear and set the backlash.

20240331_103653.jpg

I have to build a new part to hold the forward and reverse feed gears. I'm hoping to have it running again with much quieter gears next weekend.

This is exactly the kind of part I wanted my bigger lathe for. Setup would have been a bit quicker. Lol.

Last edited:
I am addicted to old iron. My self diagnosis is I was born with an Iron deficiency. As a future warning I will binge watch your future restoration repeadly. If you become addicted to old iron there will be sleepless nights thinking and rethinking and thinking again about your recent acquisition. As you. Can tell I am overwhelmed with envy.

My scary fly cutter prepping a 6x7x3/4 plate that will be replacing a broken part.

View attachment 20240409_101546.mp4

This is the part. My buddy has already modeled it in CAD so he is going to cut it out for me. I'm press fitting a sleeve into the larger hole so I'll finish that on my mill at home with my boring head.
20240409_104233.jpg

Couple bolts to hole it tight while he mills it.

20240409_150308.jpg

The old girl will have feed gears again this Saturday. All the oil cups that have to do with oiling the shafts the gears ride on, do those get gear oil as well? I've got two oil cups on the carriage that oil the gears inside. I'm guessing gear oil for those also.

Any oil holes for ways I'm giving way oil.

We were supposed to mill the plate that holds the reverse gears today but life got in the way. I machined a part for a guy and made $40. I took a generator to a relative of my wife and got their freezer and fridge running after 12 hours without power. I was extremely ready to see the old girl cut....

Back