Beauty in The Beast: Webb 5BVK Barn Find/Conversion

Liquid tight (or tite) conduit.
I would think you would want a small distribution box mounted to the machine.
Thinking larger conduit from main box to distribution box. Then smaller conduit to end item. YMMV.
Jim can advise regarding any physical separation / shielding he recommends.

One of the reasons it is mounted to the machine is feedback cables should go from the device, generally an encoder without breaks. Linear Scales should go direct without breaks. Feedback should be segregated from AC.
It can be done and shouldn't hurt anything. It does open the machine up.
I like the fact the pendant is not in the way.
Before you do it check out how many wires you are going to have to run, especially on the head.
I think the box on mine is even bigger!
Allen Bradley garbage.
Did yours have the "neck" tube/ bracket for the crt and pushbuttons?

Oh man. Mine did have the neck - which was angled at forehead height and replay with sharp edges.

When it wasn’t busy blocking all visible light, it was strategically positioned to tear one’s forehead. I used a cut off week on an angle grinder to remove it after taking the upper box off.

There are a list of things I don’t like about the box. Some already noted.
Add to that - it has a 1” gap designed to catch chips, errant tool drops, hold oil just well enough to have a constant drip, and stop any very large (even light weight) item from hanging off the back of the table.

One other idea I had was to repurpose the smaller box that was on that angled pendant (forehead cutter). It’s 24x24 and I might be able to shoehorn all the electronics in it. Fit would be snug - but it could more easily be mounted to machine in compact fashion.

Everything still in planning stage.
Good feedback and plenty to think about still before final determination.

Here I am seeing what’s 24x24 layout might look like.

F1D941B8-69E9-415F-8B10-20F8F4E3BD24.jpeg

Update:
Moving slower than I would like - since my pesky paying job is requiring my attention.
I have the panel - which sits inside the giant box - out of the box and on some saw horses.
This has allowed me to play around with layout.

The break out boards, cables, and Galil controller take up significant space!
Additionally - I've been advised to separate the high and low voltage as best I can.
Have had to get creative with solutions.

To consolidate and separate, I am utilizing the side of the drive board box.
I've mounted the controller, break out boards, and low voltage relays, there.
IMG_2829.JPG

I'v also moved it out of the center of the board, and remounted it on the left hand side.
This allows me to build the right hand side with my high voltage, and left with low.
IMG_2830 3.JPG

The fuse block is unreasonably bulky - but I have the space for it - so I will utilize as you can see in the picture above.
Below is another angle showing gall the new Galil/breakout/relays.
I think I can keep this tidy.
The relays are not so visible perhaps - but they all snap in and out using DIN channel - so it should work for me.

I have space for a terminal block in the lower left corner where things come in.
I will see if my linear scales can connect direct with no break - that's the goal.
I might have to rethink if not - but believe it can be achieved.

Don't forget the inside of the door!
Mine had a huge double level processor and wiring for the i/o mounted to the inside of the door.

Ha!
That’s what Jim said also.
I figured it would be strange having the cables or wires going back into the box - but now that I’ve been working with it - inside of the door makes a lot of sense.

I’m going to take a close look at the cables coming in from the scales and determine if they will reach my current positioning - before I start the wiring.

Managed to make some nice progress.
Lemme open by saying - Jim's help / perhaps better coined as tutelage - has been phenomenal.
Made more remarkable by the fact it was all performed remotely

The amazing part was how Jim worked methodically to discover how to tap into the existing drives, and then managed (somehow) to help me program the new controller (Gallil) to speak to them.
That replaced about 100lbs and 4 cubic feet of 1980's PCB and wire volume.

Part of my goal here is to have a nice less bulky setup.
I admit to being drawn to the beauty of the old iron - and this machine has some nice lines once exposed.
Still some work to do there - but that's for another day.

At the weekend - we got the last of the components working.
I can now jog the table around at will, and with incredible percision, using Jim's software - or the remote pendant controller.

Keep in mind - this whole thing is discount gourmet (my favorite).
I am using a $500 eBay Gallil "controller", a $60 pendant controller, $20 of Chinese relays, and a machine someone gave me for free - in return for carting it away.

I am cleaning and re-using many of the original switches and associated electronics.
Kinda knocked out with how it's progressing.

So onto the pictures:

I configured and wired the board on some old saw horses - tapping into the machines wires.
It was a birds nest - but gave me good access - tho caution was required with all that voltage exposed.
IMG_3415.JPG

The original box (which had been mounted on the side of the machine) was always an eye sore.
They didn't even match paint colors.
I gave it a scrub but it still looked kinda crappy.
IMG_3435 2.JPG

So was it's fan filter and cover.
IMG_3428.JPG
So I gave those a scrub too.
IMG_3429.JPG

To cary the (considerable) load, I mounted a piece of 3/4 plywood to the wall with 12 screws to spread the load nicely.
Then I added a cleat to that board - that the box's reinforcement bars could rest on - and hit it with a can of white spray paint that had been on the shelf for a half decade...

IMG_3439 2.jpg
Next up was loading the board into the box.
Weighing in at 100Lbs (guesstimate) I needed some help.
Shop neighbor came by with his fork lift to save the day.
IMG_3442.JPG

Finally - I gave the box a little polish and the net result was pretty solid.
IMG_3449.JPG

Next up is re-wiring the machine to the box.
I've used a combination of terminal block and DB plugs to allow for good connections - while remaining "disconectable"
Expect to get some conduit in on Thursday - and then should be in shape to get it re-wired.
From there - it will be time to give it it's first test cuts using the new Jim created software.
Excited for it.

-CM

Thanks!
Set up is going to get cleaner still - but it's on the way.

Had to chuckle today - caught myself ducking the phantom box corner - to avoid another forehead splitting strike - before I realized there was in fact... no box to duck.

(the original set up with it's diabolical, sharp cornered, forehead heighted, computer box).

IMG_3453.jpg

Thanks!
Set up is going to get cleaner still - but it's on the way.

Had to chuckle today - caught myself ducking the phantom box corner - to avoid another forehead splitting strike - before I realized there was in fact... no box to duck.

(the original set up with it's diabolical, sharp cornered, forehead heighted, computer box).

View attachment 453670
So awesome to see your progress!

She’s a beast for sure, looking forward to projects to come:cool:

John

Back