Beauty in The Beast: Webb 5BVK Barn Find/Conversion

It's home.
Well - its in the street in front of my home.
It's close. Last 40 feet may be the toughest though.

Huge effort this week has me worn out.
The sheer weight/scale has come to be appreciated.

Drove out to pick it up today.
They had a 5000 lb fork lift - and it still struggled at times.
The machine is top and side heavy - with it's giant second head poking out of its shoulder.

Meanwhile - my pesky paying job needed was demanding my attention - so the whole week was a juggle.
This morning, last minute - I put a coat of white on the stand(s), threw them in the back of the truck to cure - and headed off to get the mill.
The guys who gave it to me were superb.
One of them worked with me for 5 hours and operated a fork to help us get the base mounted.
Refused to take a dime.

Next up - power wash - then I have to consider how I am going to get it in the garage.
Got a real sense of just how top heavy these things are. Kinda crazy.

Painted last minuteIMG_2028.JPG

Let it cure while I droveIMG_2030.JPG
Mid installation. Full circus.
IMG_2039.JPG

3 hours later - pit stopped for some fuel (for myself) as that was a physical day.
IMG_2071.JPG

Home - 2 hours to get back - kept it steady and had it well tied down. Will stay parked here tonight.
IMG_2079 2.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2033.JPG
    IMG_2033.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2038.JPG
    IMG_2038.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2046.JPG
    IMG_2046.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2057.JPG
    IMG_2057.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2067.JPG
    IMG_2067.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 14
Nice unit. Your stand turned out great. While you are loaded on the trailer, might as well head to the car wash and clean her up before you unload.

Looking forward to watching you bring her back to life. Congrats on the new tool.

that's fabulous, congratulations! Those stands/ risers look fabulous, good call on the air curing too :) Good on those guys too, hope you left them something to drink afterwards.

What's the plan for getting it off the trailer?

Nice unit. Your stand turned out great. While you are loaded on the trailer, might as well head to the car wash and clean her up before you unload.

Looking forward to watching you bring her back to life. Congrats on the new tool.
Great minds...
dong some triage first with a wire brush, scraper, and WD 40 as my soap.
Thanks!
that's fabulous, congratulations! Those stands/ risers look fabulous, good call on the air curing too :) Good on those guys too, hope you left them something to drink afterwards.

What's the plan for getting it off the trailer?
Agreed! I owe those guys a beer - and they invited me back down for... a helicopter ride.
The old man is apparently a world renown expert in one of Instron helicopters.
I should have shot more pics.
The place from the outside looked like home of the Manson family.
But when you get to the barn/hanger around back - they have some cool stuff.
When we got the mill loaded - I helped them roll a few helicopters around to re-arrange.
You just can't write this stuff.

Trailer unload. Think I am going to rig up some outriggers like a walker - to keep it from being able to tilt - then use a pallet jack - or just take out the wood and roll it right off (its a drop bed trailer).

Need advice
Base is hollowed out.
Think it might be as a reservoir for cooling fluid.
Mostly - its just a rats nest of dirt and old shavings.
Any ideas on how to clean out - is there a drain plug normally?!
Thinking about just boring a hole in the bottom so it will drain - then using a plug to cap it.
All comers welcome!
-CMIMG_2222.JPG

I'd say fill it with water if you haven't already and see if there's a drain. If none you could use a pressure washer with an angled tip, if it were me I'd try to avoid drilling new holes.

Trailer unload. Think I am going to rig up some outriggers like a walker - to keep it from being able to tilt - then use a pallet jack - or just take out the wood and roll it right off (its a drop bed trailer).

We unloaded one like that (on wheels) off of a drop deck. Controlled the decent down the ramp with a come-a-long. That 2'' drop on the ramp looks like a 10 ft drop when you have a top heavy machine. Get some help to do it.
About the same size machine
1622318571027.png

Need advice
Base is hollowed out.
Think it might be as a reservoir for cooling fluid.
Mostly - its just a rats nest of dirt and old shavings.
Any ideas on how to clean out - is there a drain plug normally?!
Thinking about just boring a hole in the bottom so it will drain - then using a plug to cap it.
All comers welcome!
-CM
Yes, it is a coolant reservoir, but not the best design. No real access for cleanout.

Shop vac would most likely be the best option.

I don't think there is a drain plug.

Or you could just leave it as is, you are really not going to use it anyway. Flood coolant on that machine is useless.

There isn't a drain plug and I think you will find that what ever is in there, if liquid is a very small volume of the total. Most will be sludge, chips and just plain nasty stuff. If you haven't seen it done, take a look at Steve Summers YouTube of him cleaning out the sump on his project mill.

Drilling a hole will do you no good except for make more work for yourself. You should have a couple of screens in the top of the base that come out to gain some access. On one of the sides in the rear behind one of the panels you will find the pump which should also be removed for cleaning and may, depending on the design allow for some additional access. Some mills have a small panel you can remove that give you additional access.

Any way you look at it, once they have got to this stage, they are a PIA to clean out. A putty knife and patience will serve you better than anything. Once you get the bulk of the material out. You can use some kerosene to dilute what is left and vacuum it out. May take several flushes to get it clean.

I will try to find that episode of Steve's to watch. There are other YouTubers that have gone through this process as well.

Last edited:
Thanks all!
Coming along nicely.
Off to car wash shortly.

Papa Charlie had it right.
There was a panel at the back - giving full access to the base.
Put on some gloves and used a putty knife to remove a lifetimes slurry of slag.
Not my favorite job so far...

Question on the table top T slots.
Anyone want to give their favorite means to attack?
Lots of crud in there.
Some chips that appear welded in place in areas - or perhaps they are strikes with an end mill.
I don't know yet.
Feels like a small wire wheel with fine bristles - if there was one that size - would be a means.

Any ideas?

Back