Becoming hobby machinist in the near future.

I bought the same one as well and so far it’s working fine. Got a second one in a drawer waiting for my lathe.

This is the way I'm rigging mine. Air Solenoid valve, regulator, oiler.
I use coconut oil for my machining lube and isopropyl alcohol for cooling. Since the two don't mix, I've got the coconut oil in the oiler and alcohol in the tank (drawn by venturi vacuum from the mister). Works great, nice fine, cool mist, with oil impregnation (air-line from oiler to mist unit not shown). A switch activates the solenoid valve to get the whole rig going. Works great! (little switch box was made using my CNC plasma-jet and my bending brake).
BTW I like to also put a little coconut oil in the alcohol, although it does not mix, it floats on the alcohol and creates an air barrier mitigating evaporation. I keep a layer of maybe 1/4" coconut oil above the alcohol.
Mist.jpg

Last edited:
Making more tools. Pictured below is the first tool I've made that required some pretty tight tolerances.
This is a Tap follower (springs not pictured) that was made from a 1" bar of 10L14 stainless for the body and cold rolled steel for the follower point.

I tried to harden the point with a torch and motor oil quench, but that threw off the tolerance slightly and I need to clean the part a bit to get it to slide smoothly. The tolerance is close enough to produce a vacuum, and the part has no run out through most of the travel.

Not perfect but then again it is just a tap follower so it does not need to be. The tap fits in a 1/2" collet.

20210905_124730 (2).jpg
20210905_124813 (2).jpg

The design was inspired by Quinn Dunki

Back