Been doing some more learning

OK. No rush.

Robert D.

Ok Robert hot of the truck!!!!!!!!!!! Im so happy :ups:

Looks like the tail stock from the 618 will work fine in the 101. The ram fits perfect as you stated. Now I dont know how to turn a moris taper but I mad the piece fit in the ram just to see if the hight between the tailstocks were the same. Look like they will be dead on.

So how would I know what moris taper is in the 618 tailstock ram> I cant measure down into the ram real far but the ID right at the leading edge is like .480

Once again for the help on this, and I now have an extra usable paper weight! :rofl:tail stock 001.jpgtail stock 002.jpgtail stock 003.jpgtail stock 004.jpgtail stock 005.jpg

tail stock 001.jpg tail stock 002.jpg tail stock 003.jpg tail stock 004.jpg tail stock 005.jpg

The reason for the mT question, cause I forgot to type, is I wanna get a drill chuck and a dead center to put in it. I have a MT 2 live center now, thought Id just put it on epay for what i bought it for to recoop my money.

Vince,

Glad to hear that you finally have the tailstock fixed.

First, keep the 2MT dead center. It fits the headstock spindle taper. There aren't a lot of uses for it but one is measuring runout or straightness of a round bar, or of any round part that can be held between centers (small crankshafts, for example). Another use, which requires a face plate, lathe dog and piece of steel 8 or 10" long, is to make a test bar (and later to mount the test bar for use) to use to set the tailstock offset or backset and check its height.

The 618 and 6" Mk2 tailstock ram has a #1 Morse taper bore. Right now there are more than a dozen #1 Morse taper dead centers on eBay, most around $10 and most imports. If you decide to buy an import instead of US, I can recommend one made by CTC Tools in Hong Kong. I haven't actually bought a dead center from them but have bought full sets of 2MT and 3MT collets and all are excellent. There are a lot of #1 Morse taper live centers listed as well. Again most import.

Robert D.

Robert

Crankshaft?????????? Now you got me thinking. I didnt know I could put something like that in a lathe. I have so much to learn. Ill take the screws out to day and post you some pics to see if theres a differance. Ive got my eye on the starter set from little machine shop for my lathe so once I get back out on the road making some money Im going to get it. I cant remember if it was you or someone else that posted the link for me some time back.

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3514

Most 1/2 nuts have an adjustment that lets you close it tighter. Many times it is just a set screw drilled and tapped on on 1/2 to limit how close they get to each other.

Of course when I mentioned crank shaft, I was thinking of something out of a small engine or model engine. :) Although I did once polish a Land Rover 2.25L camshaft in my 12X36.

Robert D.

Richard

I think thats what I turned when I took everything off and cleaned the half nut.

Robert

I cant find any differance in the 2 screws except the MK2 the little stop thinggy is like two threads further up. Everything else looks the same.

Now when you say small eng you mean like a lawn mower eng or a RC eng?

tail stock 005.jpgtail stock 006.jpg

tail stock 005.jpg tail stock 006.jpg

Strange that the two screws would have different part numbers. Unless that two threads is critical.

Anything from a small lawnmower engine down to a model airplane engine.

Robert D.

Well I got my live center, drill chuck and the center bits, what ever they are called, and man what a differance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys again for the help, now I need the half nut and Ill be making parts to go to the moon!

yea right!!!!!!!:lmao:

Oh and Robert Im headed to Texas if I get to Houston Im looking you up.

Back