Before & After pictures of Logan 1920-1 rebuild

Super job****now I'm feeling bad that none of my many old machines that I get a lot of use from aren't even cleaned up and all needing paint---maybe someday-- Dave

Wow, that is pretty!! Funny thing with the Sherline handle! Hah hah!

Bernie

It's taken me long enough but finally done, well I need a little more tweaking here & there, and a few more attachments but here it is. I built an oil dauber for it & wheel handle for the top slide until I can get an original, I didn't like the one that was on it, I think it was from a Shirline. I re-stamped the model #, Scott said my lathe was a model 1920-1, the -1 being the levered tail stock, the gear box was originally on a model 922, I also was trying to match the colors of the nobs for the handle ends & insides of the wheel handles so I painted them with black first & while still wet, put a light coat of burgundy, it's pretty close. Now I just have to learn how to run it. Well I still have to get it wired up, I've got 3ph to my shop, just not wired in, Hoping to get that done in the next couple of weeks.
Looks like a lathe Dennis Turk did.
it's too nice to use,
Thanks,
Tony

I guess really I didn't rebuild anything on it, just took it all apart and cleaned it up & painted & put back together, everything on it was in very good shape except the Rack Pinion shaft in the apron has a little wear, I started to try to weld on it a tad to build it up & machine it back down but a local friend of mine that is a retired machinist adv he wouldn't mess with it, adv I was nit pick'n. So I left it. I can always go back & do it if it gets bad, he said I'd never wear it out, no more than I'll use it.
I'm looking forward to cutting something with it as soon as I get the 3 ph wired in. I wasn't sure this was the original color, it was close to what was on it but seemed a little lighter, I got the paint from the local true value, Machinery Gray. I know it won't stay this nice forever, I magin the first time I use it I'll get sick about the scratches I put on it but Oh well. This is the first time I've taken before & after pictures of anything, wish I would've on my shop building, there's been a lot of changes over the past few years. Thanks again for all the kind comments.

Dwayne

Great job Dwayne! A fine looking restore, she will be a joy to use. And I agree with your comment about how when you tear a machine down to rebuild it you fully understand it like no other. I know my south bend like this. Very nice work on your lathe!

Hey Dwayne 10 bucks says you will not scratch it=you will get the newspaper and rag trick real quick.
nice work. Perfect another saved so it dont come back a toyota

That's a great restoration. The ways and gears looked good in the 'before' pictures. It may have been stored somewhere dry as the rust wasn't heavy. An excellent find and renewal.

Looks nice Dwayne....now get some oil and chips on it so I don't feel so bad about my dirty machines.:))

Chuck

Chuck, as soon as I get the 3 phase to it I'll be sure & get it real dirty and post some picture :thumbzup:

Back