Beginner Hobby Machinist Looking at a Cincinnati Mill. Can anyone tell me about this model?

simspace

Registered
Registered
Hi,
I am a beginner hobby machinist looking to possibly buy a Cincinnati mill.
It seems like a good option for me to start with. And I like the price point!
I know I'll have to do some work to it, but that does not concern me much.
Can anyone tell me about a little about this mill and if you think the price is fair?
He did say he's somewhat flexible on the price.

It's a 1HP Cincinnati Mill Serial# 6J1V52-302 asking $1,300 (obo)
I thinks I found some manuals online with variations of 6J1V52.
Since there is no power feed I'm thinking it's a type 1-A.
Also not much tooling other than a vice.

Thank you!
Chris

cinci-mill.jpg

cinci-mill2.jpg

cinci-mill3.jpg
62983796909__A9101A6E-DE62-4713-98D2-11AB6301303D.jpeg

Attachments

• 62983796909__A9101A6E-DE62-4713-98D2-11AB6301303D.jpeg
    62983796909__A9101A6E-DE62-4713-98D2-11AB6301303D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
Those are beefy, rigid mills. I think you will be very happy with it. Good find
The table looks nice too. It might be missing a crank handle for the knee?
-Mark

Last edited:
When I got my ancient Cincinnati mill, I contacted Cincinnati Machine Tool thru their web-site "Contact Us" form.
They helped find the serial number, then with that they could tell me the date, weight, oil to use, etc.

I sent sent Cincinnati a message through their "Contact Us" form a couple of hours ago. Hoping I will hear back from them soon.

I found this manual that shows a Style 1-A which does not have a power feed quill. It looks similar to the one I am interested in. But I think that's a 1941 manual. Based on the research I've done so far on the 6J1V52 in the serial number, I think the mill I'm interested in might have be made in the mid-50s (maybe '56), but I'm not sure.

It does appear someone moved/lowered the spindle motor toggle switch on the mill I'm interested in.

1608175331616.png

Last edited:
It might be missing a crank handle for the knee? -Mark

Thanks @markba633csi.
I thought the same thing at first, but after reviewing all the pics several times I think the knee handle is inverted or pointing inward.
I believe they are easily removable so they are not in the way while working.
But I will double-check with the owner.

Do you have 3-phase?
Or are you going the VFD, RPC or static phase-converter route?

-brino

You are correct that the knee crank is hanging backwards on the shaft. There may be sort of an odd ball spindle taper ("Monoset"). They can be a pain to acquire, but once you had them it would not be a big deal. You can also check out the term "Tool Master" - for that family of mills. I have a 1D (main difference is the #40 taper and feeds all over). They are good machines. Of course any machine can be trashed, but they are very tough. Clean it well, lube everything and it will be a good machine for you.

It is well worth putting effort into, as when you want more machine (Reeves drive, back gear, power feeds etc) you'll have no trouble selling it on. It is large enough that there is room for a vise, tool holder and tool - with still room for an actual project (small machines eat up the available head room very quickly). The small mills work, but figuring out the set ups in a small envelop can be tricky.

I have a very nice "small" mill (lots of attachments, very robust, unique features/capabilities - except relatively small movements and limited head room), but if I'm milling something - I usually turn to the Toolmaster. It always depends on what your projects are going to be, is a consideration. I can tell you that for regular messing around with vehicles/farm stuff/misc machinery - that is a very useful size.

Going with the VFD will work great (assuming it is your only machine). Be sure to bring the controls out to the front so the VFD does all your motor control (you can probably tuck the VFD box in the rear electrical cabinet).

Let us know how you make out. David

Looks like a great starter mill to me. The only thing that would hold me back is that it has no power feeds. Not that you couldn't add an X axis feed. You learn a lot as a beginner with an older machine, cleaning and restoring it and making it your own.
Cheers
Martin

Back