Belt grinder project finished

GarageGuy

Active User
Registered
I finished my 2" x 42" belt grinder project today. I mounted the platen and tool rest, then sand blasted and painted it. It works great, and I'm happy with the results.

grinder01.jpggrinder02.jpggrinder04.jpggrinder05.jpggrinder06.jpg

GG

grinder01.jpg grinder02.jpg grinder04.jpg grinder05.jpg grinder06.jpg

Very nice piece of work.

Last edited:
In photo #4 you can see the buggered up weld on the back side of the platen. That's what happens when you forget to turn the gas back on the welder after you come back from dinner. :whistle:

GG

Fantastic! You are going to be getting a lot of good use out of that machine. Thank you for posting.

Last edited:
What size motor did you use ?

It's a Dayton 3/4 HP 3450 RPM motor. With 3450 RPM and a 6" drive wheel, I should be right about 5200 feet per minute belt speed for metal work. I was originally planning to use a 1 HP motor, but thought later that it was probably overkill since it only has a 2" wide belt.

GG

It's a Dayton 3/4 HP 3450 RPM motor. With 3450 RPM and a 6" drive wheel, I should be right about 5200 feet per minute belt speed for metal work. I was originally planning to use a 1 HP motor, but thought later that it was probably overkill since it only has a 2" wide belt.

GG
Thanks for the info Nice work !

Very nice! I`m planning to make a grinder like that to. Do you have some drawings?
I have a simular motor....

Back