Belt grinder project finished

Very nice! I`m planning to make a grinder like that to. Do you have some drawings?
I have a simular motor....

This started in a previous thread back in February. I didn't have any drawings, just a couple of photos of the concept. Someone was kind enough to locate some drawings and post them to that thread. They are toward the bottom of the thread. Here is a link:

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/20784-Belt-grinder-project

Thank you, and good luck on your project!

GG

Garage Guy that came out really nice
Let us know how well it works, I could use one like that at times.
steve

Today I mounted the grinder to a pedestal so it is free standing. The base of the pedestal is a disk/harrow blade (think farm equipment). I welded a piece of 3" DOM tubing to it. The mount for the grinder is a solid mild steel slug that I turned down so it would just slide into the DOM tube. You can't tell from the photo, but the slug has a shoulder sitting on top of the DOM. The tack welds are just to keep it from rotating. I milled a 1/4" slot in the top of the slug that is 3/4" deep, and slid the bottom frame of the belt grinder into the slot, then welded it solid. Here is the completely finished project:

IMAG0844.jpgIMAG0845.jpgIMAG0848.jpg

It is quite solid, and not side heavy as the photo makes it look. The base, pipe, and mounting slug are very heavy.

GG

IMAG0844.jpg IMAG0845.jpg IMAG0848.jpg

You did an excellent job there. From what I can see, everything looks well made and clean. Anxious to hear how well it works.

I have a question about the drive wheels.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using a plain aluminum wheel vs. using a rubber coated wheel? IIRC the commercial belt grinders from the 60's & 70's used just belt on metal wheel (they may have been cast iron back then).

thanks,

Mike

I've never used a belt grinder with a rubber contact wheel, so I'm not sure what the difference is. Knife makers seem to prefer them, so it may have advantages specific to the kind of grinding they do.

When I decided to make my belt grinder, all I had to do was look at the price of a rubber faced contact wheel, and I knew mine were going to be aluminum. :biggrin: I think my whole grinder cost less that what they wanted for one rubber faced drive wheel.

GG

Last edited:
The rubber faced wheel lets you more easily handle contours.

That is really nice. Are your pulleys crowned? If so, one or both?
R

That is really nice. Are your pulleys crowned? If so, one or both?
R

Thank you! The bottom pulley is flat across the belt surface. The top pulley has a 1 degree angle going to the centerline from each side.

GG

Back