Bench Mill choices

Aaron, what size Baldor are you running. Most Baldors are smooth running. And some are really quite too.

It is a 3/4hp motor. Here is the tag with details

Baldor 75hp.jpg

I was very lucky with my mill, the prior owner had it for a few years and got it nicely set up, but then decided he wanted a bigger mill and bought a Bridgeport.

Bridgeport isn't an option for me space wise and the 8520 has been perfect for me.

Thanks.
I think I'm going to try and get a Baldor 3585 DC motor. And a Baldor speed controller too.. They come up on eBay used and new and are reasonable in pricing., at least on eBay.

I hope we all have a wonderful new year.
I just finished purchasing my dc controler. A ABB BALDOR BC354 PWM DC Motor Control NEMA 4X. And a 1 hp Baldor dc motor. A CDX2001 Direct Current 1 HP 1750 rpm Hazardous 182CZ. After lots of reading up dc seems the way to go. Really no torque curve. And the controler is rated for this application. Can't wait to install. But while waiting I'm going to be cleaning and painting. Most of the paint is sill in good condition. Maybe use the gray paint as a primer and paint it yellow, red or whatever. I was thinking OD Green or red white and blue. Probably just keep it old battle ship gray.
Have a great holiday.
Oh, costs, 200 for motor included shipping and 200 for the controler on ebay.
Mike

Progress or not. More of a Money Pit. After what I found yesterday I plan now on a complete tear down. Or at least the main table and cross table come off.
While removing the old motor I found 2 bad bearings on the belt adjusting shaft and a damaged shaft to. If I had a lathe I would make a new one. Or weld this one up and recut it on a lathe. The top bearing had heated up and the contact area for that bearing is no longer round. I think Clausing has on in stock. Oh what fun. In checking the parts diagram I found that the mill uses a total of 6 bearings that size which is a fafnier 201kdd.i got a set of 6 off ebay from one seller.

Attachments

• 16725014714302688893040514740894.jpg
    16725014714302688893040514740894.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 16725015093078463537928193654084.jpg
    16725015093078463537928193654084.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 15
To make the motor removal a bit easier I raised the knee almost to the top. Loosened the main shaft that holds the head on one end and the motor on the other, then swiveled the motor over the bed. Made life easier on my back.

Attachments

• 16725018882343790903221368239914.jpg
    16725018882343790903221368239914.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 14
It is very frustrating at times. But very rewarding when I can get it done correctly. I'm still thinking of converting it to a CNC machine and buying the bits and pieces as the budget allows. The bearings and shaft just put a large dent in the budget. But it will be a really good machine once it's rehabilitation is over, and modernized.
For those folks that don't know about Clausing, still in business and they have a great tech department. It helps if you have your parts list in front of you. The person I spoke with was very helpful and positive about me rebuilding the 8530.
Happy New year's.

It is very frustrating at times. But very rewarding when I can get it done correctly. I'm still thinking of converting it to a CNC machine and buying the bits and pieces as the budget allows. The bearings and shaft just put a large dent in the budget. But it will be a really good machine once it's rehabilitation is over, and modernized.
For those folks that don't know about Clausing, still in business and they have a great tech department. It helps if you have your parts list in front of you. The person I spoke with was very helpful and positive about me rebuilding the 8530.
Happy New year's.
The CNC conversion of my benchtop mill was worth every microsecond It took. I just picked up the required motors, gears etc. and fabricated the brackets. If I ever get another (larger) mill, the very first thing I will do is convert it, useful beyond words.

For reference on mill repairs. In this parts diagram, upper right corner is a shaft for belt tension. The last owner had trashed the shaft. More that likely caused by not paying attention to the machine. Part 700-019 shaft has 2 different inside diameter bearings with the largest I.D. bearing being on the bottom. The top bearing had spun on the shaft eating the upper bearing mating surface. I was lucky that Clausing still had several in stock. Price was $ 136.00 I feel really lucky that the bearing didn't completely freeze up and eat the pully. I'm going to super clean the bore in the pully for both bearings and use Blue Loctite to anchor them in rhe housing. Don't use Red. Red is a bear to remove.
20230103_151925.jpg

Back