Benefit for a 2nd drill press?

imagineer

Registered
Registered
This is probably an odd question, but what would be a benefit of having a 2nd drill press?

I already have a Dayton 10” drill press in my workshop. It’s 27 years old, but still works fine.

Among the tools obtained from my father’s small machine shop is an approximate 50 year-old Chicago brand drill press. Same basic size as my existing one, but with a 3” column vs the 4” column on the Dayton. I remember using this drill press when I was just a kid. Despite it’s age, it still runs well and is quiet.

I suppose for nostalgia reasons, I’m not interested in selling it or giving it away. I bought a new drill press for my son a while ago, so he doesn’t need this one. For the time being, it’s just oiled and tucked away in a corner.

Whereas I really don’t have the space for a 2nd drill press (my workshop is a bit tight), if there’s a benefit, I’m not thinking of, for having a 2nd drill press, I’ll get creative and make a spot for it.

I have tools inherited from my Dad (mostly hand tools) I enjoy using just because. From a practical standpoint, you could argue that it could save you tool changes thereby speeding up your process. If I were in your shoes that's the excuse I would use.

I'm with Chip on this one. That backup drill press may find its purpose yet.

I had a spare 4x6 bandsaw that I inherited from a friend. It was taking up space, in the way and not getting used, but I couldn't bear to part with it. Then one day it came to me...

20210813_111515.jpg

Now it gets used more than the horizontal and takes up less floor space.

I am not convinced even one drill press is needed, if you have a good mill. I only rarely use my Powermatic 2800B drill press, mainly when there’s a setup on the mill I don’t want messed up. or for some rough woodworking project.

I had an extra little import cheapy drill press. Sat around for a couple years gathering dust.

Then one day it hit me: dedicated tube fishmouth cutter.

You’ll likely find a use for it, it will just take some time…

I have four, one's set up for drilling .062 prop shaft holes, two are set up for drill & champfer, and one is for anything else needed.

I do not accept the hoarding lable; I have one in the wood shop, a floor model Delta, a Rockwell floor model in the machine shop, a 21" flat belt drive Canedy Otto in the machine shop and a vintage teens/twenties F.W. Lindgren bench drill , also in the machine shop, driven by a short line shaft that also powers my 9" Monarch Jr. lathe

Back